Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prymordial Soup - May I talk to the Chef?

1. Aug 28, 2003 #1

Tsu

Gold Member

Primordial Soup - May I talk to the Chef?

Just a question...

Primordial soup -- Who made it? (or if you prefer - How did it get there?)
    EDIT: OK, so I suck at spelling...

Last edited: Aug 28, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2003 #2

FZ+

Well... once upon a time there was this thing called the big bang and...

Basically, evidence is that the primordial soup has always been around - only it took us to recognise it as such. Studies of asteroid belts show such chemicals to be in high concentration, probably due to various reactions driven by solar energy. The processes that formed what we call life basically just used what was available.

4. Aug 28, 2003 #3

kat

Primordial soup?
    Can I make it in the microwave?!

5. Aug 28, 2003 #4

Tsu

Gold Member

How did IT get there?

OK. But I'm told God has always been around, too, - just like primordial soup. So, how did these chemicals come into being?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2003
  6. Aug 28, 2003 #5

Tsu

Gold Member

Actually, YES! It's called Campbell's Primordial Soup. Just be careful when you open it, as it's very old!

7. Aug 28, 2003 #6
    The chef forgot to leave a forwarding address, but I’d still like mine bubbling hot, please.

8. Aug 28, 2003 #7

Tsu

Gold Member

HEY! That's the ONLY way to serve it!!!

9. Aug 29, 2003 #8
    Yes, but does it come with primordial slime? I think I'll have a side order of that too!

10. Aug 29, 2003 #9

Tsu

Gold Member

You can find Cup o' Slime right next to the cans of Campbell's Primordial soup at your local Big Bang Market. Use extreme caution when opening either of these products - as stated before, they are VERY old. I would think that the slime is a bit more volatile than the soup - but, that's just me.

11. Aug 29, 2003 #10

Tsu

Gold Member

OK. This is fun - I could go on and on...

But I guess where I'm going with this is...I've read quite a few of these threads now, and I have yet to see anyone try to find common ground between creation vs evolution. Does it always have to get down to the chicken or the egg thing? Why can't God be involved in the evolutionary process? (I believe he IS.) (At least I think I do!) Why do most creationists just flat refuse to look at that possibility? Are there any out there who will look at this objectively? I find most evolutionists to be much the same. Is there just no way to blend science WITH religion? HELP!

12. Aug 29, 2003 #11
    No, there is no way to blend science and religion, in any real sense. Sorry to disappoint you, but stick around, the veal is great!

13. Aug 29, 2003 #12

Tsu

Gold Member

Veal and Primordial Soup (or Can o' Slime) just don't mix. Just like beef and milk. Shouldn't be done.

Anyone else like to try this one?

14. Aug 29, 2003 #13
    Why should they? I'm right, and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong!!

Seriously, religion and science don't mix. You can throw 'God', 'Zeus', or Peewee Herman in there as a 'guiding force' behind evolution, but frankly, I think it makes any god in charge look rather weak, foolish, and incompetent. Evolution exists, and it is sloppy!

15. Aug 29, 2003 #14

Tsu

Gold Member

Zero, you're SUCH an @$$hole! (don't be offended - it's a term of endearment for me )

I completely agree. Evolution exists and it is sloppy. Now, I KNOW from reading you in other threads that there is no way in HELL I will ever convince you of this , or anything ELSE for that matter (see your first two sentences above), much less get you to even consider the possibilities. So, what...? Do we just pop this into the philosophy forum and let it die a (not so natural) death by debate? I do find it to be a fascinating concept and I can't believe that I'm the only one who feels this way. Just wondered if anyone here did, too.

16. Aug 29, 2003 #15
    No, I mean, we can talk about it, but it is illogical to include any deity in evolution. We can go around about the fact that no design is inherent, we can debunk the idea that evolution is statistically impossible, or whatever else you want to go for. +

Mostly though, like I said, the whole process is messy but follows what we know of chemistry and biology, no supernatural force necessary. And don't even bother to try to reconcile a specific doctrine to science, like the Christian creation myth, because you'll tie your brain in knots trying to explain away all the contradictions.

17. Aug 29, 2003 #16

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Belief in the "god of the gaps" is out of style these days --- it's your life, your belief, and you can do what you want to do --- just don't be too surprised when creationists and evolutionists smack you in the face for being "old-fashioned."

The god in the "god of the gaps" is unnecessary and serves no predictive purpose for the scientific side of the debate, and is deemed inadequate for the creationist side to fall on their knees and worship. Sorry 'bout that.

18. Aug 29, 2003 #17
    LOL, alot of 'sorry's going around today!

19. Aug 29, 2003 #18

Tsu

Gold Member

I've never even heard of this term before! Thank you. I'll run a search on it. Why is it considered so 'old fashioned'?

20. Aug 29, 2003 #19
    I think it is because it doesn't do any good for anyone, really. If you assume that anything in a 'gap' in our knowledge was done by a deity, and then later it turns out to have a perfectly naturaistic explanation, your deity just got smaller.

21. Aug 29, 2003 #20

Tsu

Gold Member

I wouldn't look at it as my 'diety' getting smaller, it would be that our understanding is getting larger. I believe he gave us curiosity and intelligence for a reason - and I think he wants us to constantly increase our knowledge of his universe until we finally truly find him. Yes, I'm very idealistic (pie-in-the-sky... blah, blah, blah...) but I'm a lot happier than most people I know!

What does science fill the 'gaps' with? Am I gonna have to come up with some gall dang scientific-method-type test for GOD? Hmm... might be kind of a tough one, huh?

This is giving me a headache. I'm going to bed.
    G'nite!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?