1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pseudo Force ~

1. Mar 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prism 1 with bar 2 of mass m placed on it gets a horizontal acceleration [tex]\omega[/tex] directed to the left. At what maximum value of this acceleration [tex]\omega[/tex] will the bar be still stationary relative to the prism, if the coefficient of friction between them [tex]k < cot\alpha[/tex]

th_untitled3.jpg

2. Relevant equations

[tex]mg sin \alpha - m \omega cos \alpha[/tex] = Force trying to move the body along the prism.
    k ([tex]m\omega sin \alpha + mg cos \alpha[/tex]) = Frictional force.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the prism is accelerating to the left, the bar experiences a pseudo force [tex]m\omega [/tex] directed to the right. Resolving it has components
    [tex]m \omega cos \alpha [/tex] opposed to [tex]mg sin \alpha [/tex] and the component [tex]m\omega sin \alpha [/tex] acting along the direction of [tex]mg cos \alpha[/tex]

At equilibrium, the frictional force equals the force which acts along the prism.
    Equating, [tex]mg sin \alpha - m\omega cos\alpha[/tex] = k ([tex]m\omega sin \alpha + mg cos \alpha[/tex])
    Further simplifying,

[tex]\omega = \frac {g (sin \alpha - k cos \alpha)}{cos \alpha + k sin \alpha}[/tex]

This is not the correct answer. Can you please point out where I've made a mistake?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks like you made a sign error. Which way does the friction force act? Which direction are you calling positive?

(I'd use ΣF = 0 parallel to the wedge, coupled with a consistent sign convention.)

4. Mar 19, 2009 #3
    the maximum value of k is cot(alpha). So have you tried putting that in?

5. Mar 19, 2009 #4
    Oh. Thanks for that correction. I've got the right answer now. :biggrin:
    I reckon I can use the sign system in any direction as long as I put the signs correctly?

6. Mar 19, 2009 #5
    Its given [tex]k < cot\alpha[/tex]. What is the importance of this data in this question? I got the correct answer although I didn't have this point in mind. So I'm thinking why its given..

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2009
  7. Mar 19, 2009 #6

Doc Al

Absolutely.
    Consider the sign of your expression for the acceleration if that condition were not met. :wink:

8. Mar 19, 2009 #7
    Sign of the expression for acceleration? I don't notice any particular change when [tex]k < cot\alpha[/tex]!! :frown: Where am I going wrong?

9. Mar 19, 2009 #8

Doc Al

Take a look at your (corrected) expression. What happens to the sign of the denominator when k > cot α ?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  10. Mar 19, 2009 #9
    The denominator turns out to be zero when [tex]k= cot\alpha[/tex]. :tongue:
    Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  11. Mar 19, 2009 #10
    I see that the tendency of the body 2 is to move up. Why is it like that, usually it always tends to move down, right?

12. Mar 20, 2009 #11

Doc Al

The block would tend to move down the prism, if the prism weren't accelerating towards it. That changes things by introducing additional forces.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook