Pseudoinverse Exercise: Proving the Properties of the Pseudoinverse

• Thread starter liengen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary, the given property A*A^+*A = A implies that the pseudoinverse x' of a non-invertible system of linear equations Ax=b lies in the image of A and minimizes the error ||b-Ax'||. Additionally, it is shown that the magnitude of the error is ||Ax'-b||^2=b^T*(I-A*A^+)*b and that the error vector lies in the kernel of A. However, it is not obvious that x' is in the image of A when the rows or columns are linearly dependent and the dimensions of x' and A do not match.
liengen

Homework Statement

Let's say I have a non invertible system of linear equations: Ax=b
Then the pseudoinverse gives a approximate solution: x'=A^+*b

(1) Given the property: A*A^+*A = A, prove that x' is a vector which lies in the image of A and minimises the error = ||b-Ax'||

(2) show that the magnitude of the error is ||Ax'-b||^2=b^T*(I-A*A^+)*b and that the error vector lies in the kernel of A

Homework Equations

A^+ is the pseudoinverse

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's just consider (1) for now.
I know that since b does not lie in the column space of A, we have to find a approximate solution by projecting b onto this space. Let's denote this projected as proj_b.
Thus: Ax' = proj_b.
It's kinda obvious that x' lies in the image of A. I just cannot see the link between this and the given property A*A^+*A = A.

Physics news on Phys.org
liengen said:

Homework Statement

Let's say I have a non invertible system of linear equations: Ax=b
Then the pseudoinverse gives a approximate solution: x'=A^+*b

(1) Given the property: A*A^+*A = A, prove that x' is a vector which lies in the image of A and minimises the error = ||b-Ax'||

(2) show that the magnitude of the error is ||Ax'-b||^2=b^T*(I-A*A^+)*b and that the error vector lies in the kernel of A

Homework Equations

A^+ is the pseudoinverse

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's just consider (1) for now.
I know that since b does not lie in the column space of A, we have to find a approximate solution by projecting b onto this space. Let's denote this projected as proj_b.
Thus: Ax' = proj_b.
It's kinda obvious that x' lies in the image of A. I just cannot see the link between this and the given property A*A^+*A = A.

It is not at all obvious to me that x' is in the image of A. What if A is an [itex]m \times n[/itex] matrix, with [itex]m \neq n[/itex]? Then [itex]x'[/itex] doesn't even have the right dimension. Is there an unstated assumption or a typo somewhere?

jbunniii said:
It is not at all obvious to me that x' is in the image of A. What if A is an [itex]m \times n[/itex] matrix, with [itex]m \neq n[/itex]? Then [itex]x'[/itex] doesn't even have the right dimension. Is there an unstated assumption or a typo somewhere?

I see your point. Nothing else is stated though.

If the rows or columns are linearly dependent, I still think it's obvious, since then we just have either the same equations (rows) or the unknowns equal each other (columns) and the pseudoinverse just kills these. We still get the right answer. When we have a unsolvable system however (i.e more linearly independent rows than columns) then I agree, x' doesn't have the right dimension compared with A.

What is a Pseudoinverse?

A Pseudoinverse is a mathematical concept that is used to calculate the inverse of a matrix that is not square or not invertible. It is also known as the Moore-Penrose inverse.

Why is the Pseudoinverse important?

The Pseudoinverse is important because it allows us to solve systems of linear equations that do not have a unique solution or are inconsistent. It is also used in many data analysis and machine learning techniques.

How is the Pseudoinverse calculated?

The Pseudoinverse is typically calculated using the Singular Value Decomposition (SVD) method. This involves breaking down the original matrix into three components and then calculating the inverse of each component separately.

What are some applications of the Pseudoinverse?

The Pseudoinverse has many applications in various fields such as signal processing, data analysis, image processing, and control theory. It is also used in solving least squares problems, calculating the Moore-Penrose inverse, and solving underdetermined systems of equations.

What are the limitations of the Pseudoinverse?

The Pseudoinverse has some limitations, such as being computationally expensive for large matrices and being sensitive to noise and small changes in the original matrix. It also cannot be used to solve ill-conditioned problems or matrices with zero eigenvalues.