Solving a Physics Problem Involving Two Blocks Connected by a Cord

In summary, a block with mass 6.00kg resting on a horizontal surface is connected to a hanging block with mass 4.00kg via a horizontal cord passing over a frictionless pulley. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.50. When the blocks are released, the acceleration of each block is 0.98m/s^2 and the tension in the cord is 35.28N.
Edwardo_Elric

Homework Statement

A block with mass 6.00kg resting on a horizontal surface is connected by a horizontal cord passing over a light frictionless pulley to a hanging block with mass 4.00kg. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the horizontal surface is 0.50. After the blocks are released,
a.) Find the acceleration of each block
b.) The tension in the cord.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a.)
uk = 0.50
fk = ukN
fk = 0.50(6.00kg)(9.8m/s^2)
Summation of the mass of 6.00kg block
m1a = T - fk
m1a = T - 0.50(6.00kg)(9.8m/s^2)

Summation of the mass of 4kg block
m2a = m2g - T

so i add both the two forces:
m1a = T - 0.50(6.00kg)(9.8m/s^2)
+m2a = m2g - T

dont know how the back of the book got an answer of 0.1m/s^2

b.) m2a = m2g - T
(4.00kg)(.98m/s^2) = (4.00kg)(9.8) - T
T = 35.28N

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method and answers look correct to me. (Must be a typo in the book.)

I would like to commend your attempt at solving this physics problem. However, I noticed that you have made a mistake in your calculation for the acceleration. The correct equation for the summation of forces on the 6.00kg block should be m1a = T - fk, where fk is the kinetic friction force. This means that the final equation should be (m1+m2)a = m2g - fk, where fk = 0.50(6.00kg)(9.8m/s^2) = 29.4N. This would result in an acceleration of 0.55m/s^2. This may be the reason why the back of the book got an answer of 0.1m/s^2.

For b.), your calculation for the tension is correct. I would just like to add that it is important to always check your units to ensure that they are consistent. In this case, the units for acceleration should be m/s^2, so the final answer for the tension should be T = 35.28N. Overall, your attempt at solving this problem is commendable, and it is important to always double check your calculations to ensure accuracy. Keep up the good work!

1. How do I determine the acceleration of the system?

To determine the acceleration of the system, you must first identify the forces acting on each block. Then, use Newton's second law of motion (F=ma) to calculate the net force on each block. Finally, use the equation a=Fnet/m to find the acceleration of the system.

2. What is the tension in the cord connecting the two blocks?

The tension in the cord can be found by using the equation T=mg+ma, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the block, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the block.

3. How do I determine the frictional force between the blocks and the surface?

The frictional force can be determined by using the equation Ff=μN, where Ff is the frictional force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force exerted on the block by the surface.

4. Can I neglect the mass of the cord in my calculations?

In most cases, the mass of the cord can be neglected since it is usually much smaller than the masses of the blocks. However, if the cord is significantly heavy, it may affect the acceleration of the system and should be included in the calculations.

5. How do I determine the direction of the net force on the system?

The direction of the net force on the system can be determined by considering the direction of the individual forces acting on each block. If the net force is in the same direction as the acceleration, then the system will speed up. If the net force is in the opposite direction, the system will slow down.