1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulley Problems with Rotation please help!

1. Mar 7, 2010 #1
    1. Wheel A of radius 10 cm is coupled by belt B to a wheel C of radius 25 cm. Wheel A increases its angular speed from rest at a uniform rate of 1.6 rad/s^2. Determine the ime required for wheel C to reach a rotational speed of 100 rev/min, assuming the belt does not slip

2. I'm very confused by what exactly I have to solve for first. I know that I have to use the 5 equations of motion (with the rotation variables subbed in for the linear ones) but I'm still not sure.

3. I thought that since the radius of C is A*2.5, I thought about solving for A, and then multiplying by 2.5, but I don't know... Can someone please show me how to do it?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2010 #2
    by coupled, it means that the two wheels are connected by a belt that goes around them, like a rubber band.

4. Mar 7, 2010 #3
    wf^2-wi^2=2a(theta) is what i'm thinking of using, but I don't know where to get (theta) in relation to the radius. i know that theta r = d, but theres no "d"

:(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook