1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulley system on an inclined plane with friction.

1. Sep 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two blocks are connected by a thin inextensible string over a frictionless massless pulley
    as shown on the picture below
    The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2

Given that the two blocks move at 1.9 m/s
    under an acceleration of 4.1 m/s2,
    calculate the coefficient µk of kinetic friction between
    the left block and the incline.

2. Relevant equations*
    ƩF=MA
    Ffk*Fn
    m2-T = m2*a

*(any and all derived equations as well)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Tension minus parallel force of gravity minus force of friction equals zero because its travelling at a constant velocity.

(110kg*(9.8m/s2-4.9m/s2)) - (37kg*9.8m/s2*sin(33)) - (μ*9.8m/s2*37kg*cos(33))

after doing the arithmetic and algebra i got to:
    429.5138859N = (μ*9.8m/s2*37kg*cos(33))

Dividing both sides by (9.8m/s2*37kg*cos(33))
    i got μ=1.412400969

I got this incorrect twice before and know have noticed my previous errors and fixed them, but was wondering if anyone can verify with me that this is the right/ wrong answer? thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The text of the problem is confusing, but the blocks do not move with constant velocity: There is acceleration of 4.1 m/s2. v=1.9 m/s at an instant.

The equation is not correct. It should be ƩF=(m1+m2)a, the sum of all external forces is equal to the acceleration of the whole system multiplied by the mass of the whole system. What is that 4.9 m/s2?

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted