Pulley Tension Problem with Bosun

In summary, a man sitting in a bosun's chair with a combined mass of 95kg on a massless, frictionless pulley needs to exert a force of 931N to move up at a constant velocity or 1231N to move up at 1.3m/s^2, assuming he is holding onto the rope. If he were to let go, the force would decrease to 931N due to the tension in the rope being removed. Additionally, if a man at the bottom were to hold the rope, the problem would become a normal pulley problem with the force on the bosun's side being equal to the weight of the man and chair. This problem can also be thought of in terms of
Phan

Homework Statement

A man sitting in a bosun's chair that dangles from a massless rope, which runs over a massless, frictionless pulley, and back down to the man's hand, wants to pull himself up. The mass of the man and the chair combined is 95kg, with what force magnitude must the man pull on the rope if he wants to:
a] move up at a constant velocity
b] move up at 1.3m/s^2

Homework Equations

Irrelevant at the moment.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have found out the answer or the key to solving this problem, but there are still several points that I don't understand. I know that since the man is holding on to the rope, there must be two tensions of equal magnitudes on each side, I call that T1 & T1. Using this, I did

2T1 - mg = ma = 0

My question is, how would this change if the man was no longer holding on to the rope? I'm slightly confused, as I know that if the man let's go, he would experience mg down, since there is no longer any tension in the rope, so he would have a downward force of 931N.
So using this, if we go back to him holding the rope, is it simply because that there are two tensions, that this total force is divided in half for each side for him to be in equilibrium? Is this the right way of thinking?

Part C also asks to find the same things if a man at the bottom were to hold the rope. Am I correct in assuming that this will turn it into a normal pulley problem where for the bosun side:
T1-mg= 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Phan said:
I think I have found out the answer or the key to solving this problem, but there are still several points that I don't understand. I know that since the man is holding on to the rope, there must be two tensions of equal magnitudes on each side, I call that T1 & T1. Using this, I did

2T1 - mg = ma = 0

So using this, if we go back to him holding the rope, is it simply because that there are two tensions, that this total force is divided in half for each side for him to be in equilibrium? Is this the right way of thinking?

Part C also asks to find the same things if a man at the bottom were to hold the rope. Am I correct in assuming that this will turn it into a normal pulley problem where for the bosun side:
T1-mg= 0?

Hi Phan! :smile:

Yes that's all correct!

"the right way of thinking"?

You can think of it any way you like, so long as it's consistent with the equations.

One way is to think of it as gearing, and to look at the work done (which is the same as energy gained) …

in the first case, pulling the rope one metre only lifts the chair half a metre … so the gearing is 2 (or is it 1/2? … i can't remember which way round it is :redface:) … the "h" in the PE changes only half as fast as the "d" in the F.d = work done, so the F must be twice as much. :smile:

1. What is a pulley tension problem with Bosun?

A pulley tension problem with Bosun refers to a situation where there is a pulley system with a rope or cable, and a person or load (known as the "Bosun") is being lifted or lowered using the pulley. The issue arises when the tension in the rope or cable needs to be calculated for the system to function properly.

2. How do you calculate the tension in a pulley system with Bosun?

To calculate the tension in a pulley system with Bosun, you need to use the principles of static equilibrium. This means that the sum of all the forces acting on the Bosun (including the weight of the Bosun and any additional loads) must be equal to zero. By considering the forces acting on each part of the pulley system, you can then use basic equations to determine the tension in the rope or cable.

3. What factors affect the tension in a pulley system with Bosun?

The tension in a pulley system with Bosun is affected by several factors, including the weight of the Bosun and any additional loads, the number and arrangement of pulleys, and the angle at which the rope or cable is being pulled. The type and strength of the rope or cable also play a role in determining the overall tension in the system.

4. How can you troubleshoot a pulley tension problem with Bosun?

To troubleshoot a pulley tension problem with Bosun, you should first check that the system is set up correctly and that all components (such as pulleys and ropes) are in good working condition. Next, you can use the principles of static equilibrium and equations for tension to determine if there are any errors in your calculations. If the problem persists, it may be helpful to consult with an expert or reference materials for further guidance.

5. Are there any safety considerations when working with a pulley tension problem with Bosun?

Yes, there are several safety considerations when working with a pulley tension problem with Bosun. It is important to ensure that all components of the system are in good condition and properly secured. When calculating and adjusting tension, make sure to use appropriate safety equipment and techniques to avoid injury. It is also important to follow any specific safety guidelines or protocols set by your organization or industry when working with pulleys and lifting heavy loads.