Preloading Pulleys: Understanding the Effects of Tension on Angular Velocity

• I
  • Thread starter PaulB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary, the two scenarios presented are not equivalent and the torques applied to the spools are different. In the first scenario, the tension on T1 is simply T1-T2, while in the second scenario, the tension on T1 is the same as long as T2 is applied to the spool and not the fixed point directly.
PaulB
I am making a system Where I am pulling on opposite ends of a pulley with Tensions T1 and T2. Is this equivalent to preloading the pulley with tension T2? If I preload the pulley with T2 on a separate rope, how will the angular velocity change when I apply T1? I've drawn a quick diagram

pulley_pic.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Neither of these scenarios look much like a "pulley" to me - they look like spools. Neither are stable/in equilibrium. Are they free-floating in space? I don't see how you can "pre-load" something that isn't fixed. Anyway, no, the two scenarios are not equivalent: the torques applied to the spool are different.

russ_watters said:
Neither of these scenarios look much like a "pulley" to me - they look like spools. Neither are stable/in equilibrium. Are they free-floating in space? I don't see how you can "pre-load" something that isn't fixed. Anyway, no, the two scenarios are not equivalent: the torques applied to the spool are different.
Hi Russ, you are correct. These are better described as spools fixed in space, but free to rotate around the point at the center of the circle. Let's say that they are bearings, sitting on shaft. In the left picture, the tension on T1 will simply be T1-T2. What will the tension on T1 be in the picture on the right.

PaulB said:
Hi Russ, you are correct. These are better described as spools fixed in space, but free to rotate around the point at the center of the circle. Let's say that they are bearings, sitting on shaft.
In that case, there's an additional force missing from the pictures, one that acts at the center and opposes the net force of the applied T1 and T2.

PaulB said:
In the left picture, the tension on T1 will simply be T1-T2. What will the tension on T1 be in the picture on the right.
I think you tripped over your wording there. I think you mean to ask about the force on the center bearing? T1 and T2 are applied forces, right? The force applied by the bearing is T1-T2, yes. For the second one, it's the same as long as T2 is somehow applied to the spool and not the fixt point directly. Otherwise T2 isn't really doing anything.

What is a pre-tension pulley?

A pre-tension pulley is a mechanical device used to apply tension to a belt or chain in a system. It is typically used in engines and other machinery to prevent slippage and ensure proper functioning.

Why is a pre-tension pulley important?

A pre-tension pulley is important because it helps to maintain the correct tension in a belt or chain, which is necessary for the proper operation of the machinery. It also helps to prevent wear and tear on the belt or chain, extending its lifespan.

How does a pre-tension pulley work?

A pre-tension pulley works by using a spring-loaded arm to apply pressure to the belt or chain. This pressure creates friction between the pulley and the belt/chain, keeping it in place and preventing slippage.

What are the signs of a faulty pre-tension pulley?

Some signs of a faulty pre-tension pulley include squeaking or grinding noises, excessive belt wear, and vibrations in the machinery. If you notice any of these signs, it is important to have the pulley checked and replaced if necessary to avoid further damage.

How often should a pre-tension pulley be replaced?

The lifespan of a pre-tension pulley can vary depending on usage and maintenance. It is recommended to have it inspected regularly and replaced every 60,000 to 100,000 miles or as recommended by the manufacturer.