Understanding the Physics of Deep Well Pumping

• Thread starter Maxo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of using a pump to extract water from a deep well. It is explained that the pump at the top works by creating a vacuum that "sucks" the water up, but this method does not work for a very deep well. The question of what force propels the water up the pipe in this case is raised. The conversation then delves into the formula for calculating the maximum depth at which the pump can function, which is affected by air pressure. The force involved is clarified to be the difference in air pressure acting on the surface.
Maxo

Homework Statement

image.png

Homework Equations

P1 = P2 + ρgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that only the pump at the bottom works for a very deep well, but I don't understand why the higher pump doesn't. So let's ignore the pump at the bottom and only focus on the one at the top. It works by removing air from the pipe, creating vacuum, which then "sucks" the water from the ground, like a straw. Sure. But why doesn't it work for a very deep well? If there is vacuum in the pipe, why doesn't the water goes towards it? What exactly is it that limits it from functioning for a deep well?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maxo said:
It works by removing air from the pipe, creating vacuum, which then "sucks" the water from the ground, like a straw.
There is no such force as a force of suction. What force does propel the water up the pipe in this case?

By the way, how deep would the well need to be for the atmospheric pressure to be 3dB lower? I think the answer is, well into the Earth's mantle, so this is a pretty odd question.

I suggest to ask yourself the question "how does a mercury barometer work?"
The answers are closely related.

haruspex said:
There is no such force as a force of suction. What force does propel the water up the pipe in this case?

What I meant was that the air is "sucked" out, analogous to when drinking from a straw. The force is the difference in air pressure. So this force is not called suction. I don't know if there is some special name for this force?

Orodruin said:
I suggest to ask yourself the question "how does a mercury barometer work?"
The answers are closely related.

Ok. So if we have P2 = pressure at points A/B (water surface) and P1 = pressure inside the pipe. P2 is the atmospheric pressure Patm and P1 is for an ideal pump 0. Then the formula P2 + P1 + ρgh becomes

h = (P2-P1) / (ρ*g) = Patm / (ρ*g)

ρwater = 1000 kg/m^3 so

h = 1.013*10^5 / (1000*9.8) = 10.3 m

In other words, the pump at the ground is only able to maximally pump up water from well that is 10.3 meters deep or less? Did I understand it correctly?

The exact height will vary with air pressure (just as the reading on the barometer), but yes.

Maxo said:
What I meant was that the air is "sucked" out, analogous to when drinking from a straw. The force is the difference in air pressure. So this force is not called suction. I don't know if there is some special name for this force?
You've answered your own question - the force is that of air pressure acting on the surface. There is some air each side, so there is a force each way. The net force is the difference of the two.

1. How does a deep well pump work?

A deep well pump works by using a motor to rotate an impeller, which creates a centrifugal force that draws water up from the well. The water then travels through a series of pipes and valves until it reaches the surface.

2. What factors affect the rate of pumping from a deep well?

The rate of pumping from a deep well can be affected by several factors, including the depth of the well, the size and power of the pump, the diameter and condition of the pipes, the water level in the well, and the amount of friction in the system.

3. How does the physics of pressure and flow impact deep well pumping?

The physics of pressure and flow play a crucial role in deep well pumping. Pressure is necessary to lift the water from the well, and flow determines the rate at which the water is pumped. Understanding these concepts is essential for optimizing the efficiency of a deep well pump.

4. What is the difference between a shallow well pump and a deep well pump?

The main difference between a shallow well pump and a deep well pump is the depth at which they can effectively pump water. Shallow well pumps are designed for wells with a depth of 25 feet or less, while deep well pumps can handle depths of up to 300 feet or more.

5. How can I ensure the longevity of my deep well pump?

To ensure the longevity of your deep well pump, it is essential to regularly maintain and service it. This includes checking the pipes for leaks, monitoring the water level in the well, and keeping the pump and motor clean and free of debris. It is also important to use a pump that is appropriately sized for your well to prevent overworking it.