Thermodynamics problem -- Water pumped into an enclosed tank....

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the work required for a pump to force 1m^3/min of water horizontally into a closed tank against a pressure of 0.9 MPa. The equation w=(p2-p1)(v2-v1) is suggested, but it is unclear how to find the volumes. The expert suggests that the volume can be found by using the given flow rate and time.
danny12345

Homework Statement

Q3.1 (a) A pump forces 1m^3 /min of water horizontally from an open well to a closed tank where the pressure is 0.9 Mpa.compute the work the pump must do upon the water in an hour just to force the water into the tank against the pressure.sketch the system upon which the work iss done before and after the process.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

here flow rate is 1m^3/min
p1=0.101325 pa
p2=0.9 pa
we don't know v.
but equation formed will be as:
w=dpdv
now I'm where i can get v.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not a thermodynamics question. Titling it so may have deterred some potential responders.
Where you wrote pa in your attempted solution, I guess you meant MPa.
You don't need to know the velocity.
I don't understand your w=dpdv equation. Please explain the terms.

it's w=(p2-p1)(v2-v1)

it's w=(p2-p1)(v2-v1)

danny12345 said:
it's w=(p2-p1)(v2-v1)
I asked you to explain the terms. What are the v's? If they're velocities, and the p's are pressures, and w is work, then the equation is dimensionally wrong. If the v's are volumes then the dimensions work, but I don't see the relevance to problem. [And anyway, I think you would mean W= d(PV)=PdV+VdP.]

v=volume

danny12345 said:
v=volume
Ok.
You know the flow rate, and you know the time, so...

so what then?

danny12345 said:
so what then?
So you can find the volume.

how?

danny12345 said:
how?
danny12345 said:
A pump forces 1m^3 /min of water ... the work the pump must do upon the water in an hour...
A cubic metre of water per minute, for one hour, gives...?

Related to Thermodynamics problem -- Water pumped into an enclosed tank....

1. What is thermodynamics and how does it relate to this problem?

Thermodynamics is the study of energy and its transformations, with a focus on how energy moves and changes within systems. In this specific problem, we are examining the transfer of energy in the form of heat as water is pumped into an enclosed tank.

2. How does the temperature of the water change as it is pumped into the tank?

The temperature of the water will increase as it is pumped into the tank, due to the conversion of mechanical energy from the pump into thermal energy in the form of heat. This is known as the principle of energy conservation.

3. What is the role of pressure in this thermodynamics problem?

In this problem, pressure plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of the water as it is pumped into the tank. As more water is pumped into the tank, the pressure inside will increase, which will affect the temperature and volume of the water.

4. How does the volume of the water change as it is pumped into the tank?

The volume of the water will increase as it is pumped into the tank, due to the increase in pressure and temperature. This is known as thermal expansion, where the water molecules become more energetic and move further apart, resulting in an increase in volume.

5. What other factors should be considered in solving this thermodynamics problem?

In addition to pressure, temperature, and volume, other factors such as the type of pump being used, the material and insulation of the tank, and the surrounding environment should also be taken into account. These factors can affect the efficiency and accuracy of the solution to the problem.