Purpose of Life

• Thread starter BlackJack
  • Start date
cassiopeiae said:
"No one knows the real point to life, there probably isn't one...we were probably just some chance lifeform that developed out of the exact right circumstances and conditions. But really...what is the point of viewing life that way? One might as well just be dead."
vertigo said:
That is not the end of the story. Those who are tired of questioning reach this point and then decide that they have reached an impass. It is scary to think that life might be meaningless. Because it is scary, people fear to think that.
I agree, it is feared, mostly because people forget that though there may not be a point to life, it does still have meaning, if only to oneself.

vertigo said:
Why must it mean something? Ask yourself why it is that we would like there to be some great meaning. You say now that we might as well be dead. That doesn't mean we should suddenly kill ourselves. It just means that we must re-evaluate what is important.
What I meant was that if one chooses to dwell on the possibility that there is no point to life...to the extent of not doing anything, or reverting back to a primitive way of thinking, it is like killing themselves...there is no point even to themselves, no drive to do anything except cuss the pointless-ness of life.

As for the rest of your words...I agree!

TENYEARS said:
Blackjack, I suggest the following, clear your mind by clearing your life. Clean up your room for starters, it is where you sleep and live, it helps the state of mind. Then get some exercise and don't think while doing it, emerse yourself in the experience of it. If you ride a bike ride, swim walk run whatever you do but do it. Look up at the sky at night and think no thoughts. Do this absorbed in what you see for at least 15 minutes before you go to bed. Be mindful of what you do, and how you react to others. Do not react, but witness as if an outsider. In that detached sense you will understand and then have room for change. In clearing your life what will come to you is a greater sense of the truth, and if you are true to your cause, the truth itself. Don't drink, drink water. Take a pad and list the things you want to change, mark them down, date each page and your accomplishments toward you goal. This resdistribution of energy will balance your life and place it in perspective which answers may be found. What I know is irrelevant, what you know is the only thing that counts.
OOOh, some good Buddhist advice :wink:

Do not react, but witness as if an outsider.
know you start confusing me ^^. Could you please explains this a bit further ?

btw. what has this to do with buddhism ? :)

blackjack said:
btw. what has this to do with buddhism ? :)
By distancing yourself, or detaching yourself from situations helps to clear the mind and view things as they are. Just as tenyears said "be mindful" meaning, pay attention to your thoughts, actions and feelings about certain things and situations, can also allow you to evaluate you position in the world. By doing these things it allows you to be objective in situations that cause others to act or react a certain way. It is a very Buddhist view, and a good one at that. (No I'm not saying take up Buddhism...only if you want, of course :wink:) The advice that tenyears gave is really good...I would suggest trying it out...

people can have Buddhist views without even hearing of the Buddhist. I know i have. After someone told me that my views are similar to the views of the Buddhist i had to understand Buddhism and i bought a few books of thier philosphy and views of life.

verty
Homework Helper
"By distancing yourself, or detaching yourself from situations helps to clear the mind and view things as they are."

Don't get blindsided by this mumbo-jumbo. I don't like phrases like 'clear your mind' and 'detaching yourself'. It just doesn't sound like something you would want to do. You want to live life, not be a monk.

Just think about things, ask questions, and observe. And finally, don't jump to conclusions.

What distancing yourself does do is allow you to see the situation for what it is. That's it. It clears your head so that you can do this without having pressures from yourself or your peers. This doesn't mean don't go to parties or don't hang out with your friends, it just means pay attention to how you are responding to these situations and how others respond in these situations...this way you can figure it all out for yourself without your feelings or your peers opinions getting in the way. Detaching yourself only means to think objectively about something in this case...not closing yourself off. And as someone else said...it has nothing to do with being a Buddhist, I only commented that it is similar thought and philosophy...

....... got any links on that subject which are a bit further explained ?

I do agree with vertigo, it is a bit "monky" ^^

It is american indian, african, christian, asian, or any ic or ism you would like to make it. It came to me in a vision one night, it saved my life that morning and maybe the lives of a few people I did not even know. I sometimes exagerate on the size of the fish, here I can do it no justice. That is all I will say.

If you do not turn, then you will suffer the repurcussions of your actions when you are not aware of them. Blackjack, do you want to be cool? Do you know what real cool is? It is the very aspect of what I speak. You want girls, you manifest yourself in this way they will come to you. You want self respect, you will have your own and with that you will have the respect of others. You want the meaning of life, you will live it.

The real purpose of life is to create more life, but if that would be my only purpose I would running around looking for chicks all the time therefore we are creating interests in something like music or movies.