Finding a Normal Chord of a Parabola to Minimize Area

In summary: Hey, In summary, The student is having trouble understanding how to solve a homework problem involving finding the position of a normal chord of a parabola. However, by stating that all parabolas are similar, the student is able to focus on solving the problem for any parabola without needing to worry about the general form.
PFStudent
Hey,

Homework Statement

Putnam 1951 A6
Determine the position of a normal chord of a parabola such that it cuts off of the parabola a segment of minimum area.

Homework Equations

Standard Form of a Parabola
[tex]
{y} = {{{a}{{x}^{2}}} + {{b}{x}} + {c}}{{\,}{\,}{\,}{\,}{\,}{\,}}{\textrm{Vertical Axis of Symmetry}}
[/tex]
[tex]
{x} = {{{d}{{y}^{2}}} + {{e}{y}} + {f}}{{\,}{\,}{\,}{\,}{\,}{\,}}{\textrm{Hortizontal Axis of Symmetry}}
[/tex]

Area Bounded Between Curves
[tex]
{A_{B}} = {\int_{a,c}^{b,d}{{\left[}{{{{f(x)}_{T}},{{f(y)}_{R}}} - {{{g(x)}_{B}},{{g(y)}_{L}}}}{\right]{{dx},{dy}}}}}{\,}{\,}{\,}{\,}{\,}{\,}{\,}{\,}{{a}{\leq}{x}{\leq}{b}}{\,}{\,}{\,}{\,}{,}{\,}{\,}{\,}{\,}{{c}{\leq}{y}{\leq}{d}}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

From the Standard Form of a Parabola (Vertical Axis of Symmetry) let,
[tex]
{f(x)} = {{{a}{{x}^{2}}} + {{b}{x}} + {c}}
[/tex]

Since we are asked to find the position of a normal chord of a parabola, we first need to find the slope of a tangent line to a parabola for some point, [itex]{{{P}_{1}}{{\left(}{{{x}_{1}},{{y}_{1}}}{\right)}}}[/itex] on the parabola.
So,
[tex]
{{{f}^{\prime}}{(x)}} = {{{2}{a}{x}}+{b}}
[/tex]

Let,
[tex]
{{{f}^{\prime}}{(x)}} = {m(x)}
[/tex]

However, we need a normal line, so let,
[tex]
{p(x)} = {\frac{{-}{1}}{m(x)}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{p(x)} = {\frac{{-}{1}}{{{2}{a}{x}}+{b}}}
[/tex]

Since we need a chord normal to the parabola, we need to consider two points on the parabola: [itex]{{{P}_{1}}{{\left(}{{{x}_{1}},{{y}_{1}}}{\right)}}}[/itex] and [itex]{{{P}_{2}}{{\left(}{{{x}_{2}},{{y}_{2}}}{\right)}}}[/itex]; such that a chord going through both of the points on the parabola will bound an area with only the curve of the parabola where one of the intersections will be normal to the parabola.

Let, the chord's intersection at [itex]{{{P}_{1}}{{\left(}{{{x}_{1}},{{y}_{1}}}{\right)}}}[/itex] be normal to the parabola.
[tex]
{p({{\left(}{{x}_{1}}{\right)}})} = {\frac{{-}{1}}{{{2}{a}{{{\left(}{{x}_{1}}{\right)}}}}+{b}}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{p{{\left(}{{x}_{1}}{\right)}}} = {\frac{{-}{1}}{{{2}{a}{{{{x}_{1}}}}}+{b}}}
[/tex]

Now consider the line,
[tex]
{y} = {{p}{x}+{c}}
[/tex]

Where [itex]{c}[/itex] is the y-intercept of the line.
Let [itex]{{c} = {e}}[/itex] to avoid confusion with [itex]{f(x)} = {{{a}{{x}^{2}}} + {{b}{x}} + {c}}[/itex].
[tex]
{y} = {{p}{x}+{(e)}}
[/tex]
[tex]
{y} = {{p}{x}+{e}}
[/tex]

Letting, [itex]{{p} = {p(x)}}[/itex] where [itex]{{p(x)} = {p{{\left(}{{x}_{1}}{\right)}}}}[/itex].
[tex]
{y} = {{{\left(}{{p{{\left(}{{x}_{1}}{\right)}}}}{\right)}}{x}+{e}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{y} = {{{\left(}{\frac{{-}{1}}{{{2}{a}{{{{x}_{1}}}}}+{b}}}{\right)}}{x}+{e}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{y} = {{{\frac{{-}{x}}{{{2}{a}{{{{x}_{1}}}}}+{b}}}}+{e}}
[/tex]

Now, consider the area bounded between the two curves,
[tex]
{{A}_{B}} = {{\int_{{x}_{1}}^{{x}_{2}}}{\left[}{{\left(}{{{\frac{{-}{x}}{{{2}{a}{{{{x}_{1}}}}}+{b}}}}+{e}}{\right)} - {\left(}{{{a}{{x}^{2}}} + {{b}{x}} + {c}}{\right)}}{\right]}{dx}}
[/tex]

From here is where I get kind of stuck, because once I integrate and evaluate the limits of the integral I am going to need to find a way to minimize the area. However, this is tricky since (once the integral is evaluated) the area will be given as a function of two variables, [itex]{{A}_{B}}{{\left(}{{{x}_{1}},{{x}_{2}}}{\right)}}[/itex].

I'm guessing the next step from there would be applying the technique of Lagrange Multipliers to find the minimum area by extracting some restrictions on the values: [itex]{{x}_{1}}[/itex] and [itex]{{x}_{2}}[/itex]. Is that right? Or is there something I am missing?

Remark
I did not like the way that I started the problem from the Standard Form of a Parabola that has symmetry with respect to the vertical axis, in other words a parabola as a [itex]{f(x)}[/itex]. I feel that had I started from the General Equation of a Conic Section where for a parabola [itex]{{{{B}^{2}} - {{4}{A}{C}}} = {0}}[/itex] the approach would be more rigorous, since it is the most general way to represent a parabola. Any ideas on how to approach this problem that way?

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Physics news on Phys.org
All parabolas are similar.

Hey,

Thanks for reply Hurkyl.
Hurkyl said:
All parabolas are similar.

Hmm. I don't think I follow what you mean. I understand that all parabolas are similar but just do not see the connection to helping me solve this problem. A little elaboration please?

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Last edited:
It means that you don't have to bother any sort of 'general form' for a parabola; solving the problem for anyone specific parabola is enough.

1. What is a normal chord of a parabola?

A normal chord of a parabola is a line segment that is perpendicular to the parabola's axis of symmetry and intersects the parabola at two points.

2. Why is finding a normal chord important?

Finding a normal chord is important because it allows us to minimize the area of a parabola. This is useful in various real-world applications, such as finding the shortest distance between two points on a parabolic path.

3. How do you find the normal chord of a parabola?

To find the normal chord of a parabola, you first need to determine the coordinates of the parabola's vertex. Then, using the slope of the tangent line at the vertex, you can find the slope of the normal line. Finally, using the point-slope formula, you can find the equation of the normal chord.

4. What is the equation for finding the area of a parabola using a normal chord?

The equation for finding the area of a parabola using a normal chord is A = (2/3)xh, where x is the length of the normal chord and h is the perpendicular distance from the parabola's vertex to the normal chord.

5. How do you minimize the area of a parabola using a normal chord?

To minimize the area of a parabola using a normal chord, you need to find the length of the normal chord that will give you the smallest value for the area using the equation A = (2/3)xh. This can be done by finding the derivative of the area equation and setting it equal to 0, then solving for x. Once you have the value for x, you can plug it back into the area equation to find the minimum area.