Solving 1995 Putnam Math Problem: Unclear Statement

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem and its solution, specifically focusing on a sentence that starts with "Clearly, then." There is confusion about the transformation of a quartic polynomial to a quadratic one and the use of positive square roots. It is determined that the square root of the linear coefficient is incorrect and that "positive square roots" refers to the squares of the positive roots.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

Here is the problem:
http://www.unl.edu/amc/a-activities/a7-problems/putnam/-pdf/1995.pdf

Here is the solution:
http://www.unl.edu/amc/a-activities/a7-problems/putnam/-pdf/1995s.pdf

In the solution, I am not sure why the sentence that starts (ironically) with "Clearly, then" is true?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
They probably mean (b^2 - 2) instead of (b^2 + 2), in which case it follows from the above observation.

But the "above observation" contains a quartic polynomial and in that sentence it is a quadratic. I do not understand how that transformation happened...

Right, but do you notice anything special about the above quartic? Try setting y=x^2. Do you see the relevance of the phrase "positive square roots" now?

I know I am missing something really obvious, but if you set y = x^2, you get

y^2 - (b^2-1)y+1 = 0

I am not sure where the sqrt of the linear coefficient comes from...

ehrenfest said:
I know I am missing something really obvious, but if you set y = x^2, you get

y^2 - (b^2-1)y+1 = 0

I am not sure where the sqrt of the linear coefficient comes from...

I see. The square root of the linear coefficient should not be there! Also, when they say positive square roots they mean the squares of the positive roots, right?

Am I right about the square root being incorrect on the linear coefficient?

Related to Solving 1995 Putnam Math Problem: Unclear Statement

1. What is the 1995 Putnam Math Problem?

The 1995 Putnam Math Problem is a mathematical problem that was presented at the William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition in 1995. It is a challenging problem that requires advanced mathematical skills to solve.

2. What makes the statement of the problem unclear?

The statement of the 1995 Putnam Math Problem has been deemed unclear by some mathematicians because it contains ambiguous language and lacks clear instructions on how to approach the problem. This can make it difficult for people to understand what is being asked and how to solve it.

3. Is it possible to solve the problem despite the unclear statement?

Yes, it is possible to solve the 1995 Putnam Math Problem despite the unclear statement. Many mathematicians have successfully solved the problem by using their advanced mathematical skills and critical thinking abilities to interpret the statement and come up with a solution.

4. Are there any tips for solving the problem despite the unclear statement?

One helpful tip for solving the 1995 Putnam Math Problem despite the unclear statement is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can help to clarify the problem and make it easier to understand. Additionally, using various mathematical techniques and strategies can also aid in finding a solution.

5. Why is it important to solve problems with unclear statements?

Solving problems with unclear statements is important because it challenges our critical thinking skills and helps us to develop our problem-solving abilities. It also allows us to think outside the box and come up with creative solutions. In the field of mathematics, solving problems with unclear statements can lead to new discoveries and advancements in the subject.