Solving Problem from 2003 Putnam Math Exam

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the authors try to shift the x-variable by a certain amount, but they need to show that this results in the same equation in both cases.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

Here is the problem.
http://www.unl.edu/amc/a-activities/a7-problems/putnam/-pdf/2003.pdf
Here is the solution.
http://www.unl.edu/amc/a-activities/a7-problems/putnam/-pdf/2003s.pdf
How can they assume, WLOG, in case 2 that B = 0 and A => a > 0 ? It seems to me like that kills generality!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ehrenfest said:

Homework Statement

Here is the problem.
http://www.unl.edu/amc/a-activities/a7-problems/putnam/-pdf/2003.pdf
Here is the solution.
http://www.unl.edu/amc/a-activities/a7-problems/putnam/-pdf/2003s.pdf
How can they assume, WLOG, in case 2 that B = 0 and A => a > 0 ? It seems to me like that kills generality!

When they say B = 0 that has nothing to do with a generality argument. That is something you can say. Because if you complete the square on RHS you have just Nx^2+D with no middle term. That is what they mean by "shifting x" so if you shift x by x - B/A then you end up with a quadradic missing a middle term.

The only generality argument is that a>0 or a<0. So say that a>0. In that case it must mean that A>=a>0 because otherwise LHS is a quadradic of a bigger coefficient.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see for the first part. But you mean shift by x - B/2A, right?

But I do not see why you keep generality when you assume a > 0. Why do you not have to consider the case where a<0?

ehrenfest said:
But I do not see why you keep generality when you assume a > 0. Why do you not have to consider the case where a<0?
Because the proof for a>0 and a<0 are almost identical. For definiteness it is easier to solve one of these cases. The other remaining case is similar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Without_loss_of_generality

On second thought, I do not see why it is readily apparent that we can set B = 0. When you change coordinates to x - B/2A, how do you know that you are still in case 2? Maybe that is true, but it seems like that they would need to prove that...

1. How can I approach solving problems from the 2003 Putnam Math Exam?

To effectively solve problems from the 2003 Putnam Math Exam, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and principles involved. Start by carefully reading the problem and breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Then, try different strategies and approaches until you find the one that leads to a solution.

2. Are there any specific tips or tricks for solving problems from the 2003 Putnam Math Exam?

While there are no specific tricks that guarantee success, it is helpful to have a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and to practice solving a variety of problems. Additionally, it can be beneficial to work backwards from the answer choices or to try plugging in numbers to test different solutions.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for the 2003 Putnam Math Exam?

The best way to improve your problem-solving skills for the 2003 Putnam Math Exam is through practice. Work through past exams and challenging math problems, and seek feedback from a mentor or teacher. It is also helpful to constantly challenge yourself with new and difficult problems to expand your problem-solving abilities.

4. How can I manage my time effectively while solving problems from the 2003 Putnam Math Exam?

To effectively manage your time while solving problems from the 2003 Putnam Math Exam, it is important to read each problem carefully and prioritize which ones to tackle first. It can also be helpful to set a time limit for each problem and move on if you are unable to solve it within that time frame. Additionally, make sure to budget enough time for checking your work at the end.

5. What resources are available for practicing and preparing for the 2003 Putnam Math Exam?

There are many resources available for practicing and preparing for the 2003 Putnam Math Exam. These include past exams and solutions, study guides and textbooks, online forums and study groups, and math problem-solving software. It can also be helpful to seek guidance and advice from a mentor or teacher who has experience with the exam.