1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Putnam 2003 A4

1. Oct 26, 2007 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2007 #2

When they say B = 0 that has nothing to do with a generality argument. That is something you can say. Because if you complete the square on RHS you have just Nx^2+D with no middle term. That is what they mean by "shifting x" so if you shift x by x - B/A then you end up with a quadradic missing a middle term.

The only generality argument is that a>0 or a<0. So say that a>0. In that case it must mean that A>=a>0 because otherwise LHS is a quadradic of a bigger coefficient.

4. Oct 26, 2007 #3
    I see for the first part. But you mean shift by x - B/2A, right?

But I do not see why you keep generality when you assume a > 0. Why do you not have to consider the case where a<0?

5. Oct 26, 2007 #4
    Because the proof for a>0 and a<0 are almost identical. For definiteness it is easier to solve one of these cases. The other remaining case is similar.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Without_loss_of_generality

6. Oct 26, 2007 #5
    On second thought, I do not see why it is readily apparant that we can set B = 0. When you change coordinates to x - B/2A, how do you know that you are still in case 2? Maybe that is true, but it seems like that they would need to prove that...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?