Putting an item into orbit. Help

• Thread starter Squeek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbit
In summary, the conversation revolves around a homework problem involving calculating the velocity needed to place an object into orbit around the Earth. The person asking for help is unsure of how to approach the problem and is hoping someone can provide a solution for them to learn from. They also mention given formulas and the idea of conservation of energy being necessary to solve the problem.
Squeek

Homework Statement

No idea how to do this honestly, but here it is. Hopefully someone can just work this out and I can learn from that. Calculate the velocity needed to place a 14.5kg item (its a turkey but whatever lol) into orbit around the Earth at an elevation of 100km. The radius of the Earth is 6500km. Like I said I'm not sure to how to do this and I need to know.

Homework Equations

I was given formulas ( These might have nothing to do with it, beware) Fc=mu2/r
ac=4pi2rf2

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Read the stickies.

The point is I don't know how to do it, I have no work. Obviously I'm not going to get any help so someone just delete this...

In general you know that there will need to be a conservation of energy to accomplish this don't you?

So doesn't the sum of the PE at surface + KE initial = PE at orbit + KE of object in orbit?

Related to Putting an item into orbit. Help

1. How do you put an item into orbit?

To put an item into orbit, you would need to launch it into space using a rocket. The rocket would need to reach a certain speed and altitude to achieve orbit. Once in orbit, the item will continue to circle the Earth due to the balance between its forward motion and the Earth's gravitational pull.

2. What factors determine the success of putting an item into orbit?

The success of putting an item into orbit depends on several factors, such as the launch angle, speed, and altitude of the rocket, as well as the weight and shape of the item being launched. The Earth's atmospheric conditions and the ability to maintain control of the rocket during launch are also crucial factors.

3. How long does it take to put an item into orbit?

The time it takes to put an item into orbit varies depending on the type of rocket and its speed, altitude, and trajectory. On average, it takes about 8-15 minutes for a rocket to reach orbit. However, the entire process from launch to reaching a stable orbit can take several hours.

4. What is the purpose of putting an item into orbit?

Putting an item into orbit allows it to stay in space and circle the Earth without falling back to the ground. This is useful for communication and navigation satellites, as well as other space missions and experiments. It also allows for the exploration and study of space and other celestial bodies.

5. What challenges are involved in putting an item into orbit?

The main challenges of putting an item into orbit include overcoming the Earth's gravity, achieving the necessary speed and altitude, and ensuring the stability and control of the rocket during launch. There are also challenges in accurately calculating the trajectory and navigating through the Earth's atmosphere. Additionally, there are financial and technological challenges involved in developing and launching a successful rocket into orbit.