1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Putting an item into orbit. Help

1. Dec 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    No idea how to do this honestly, but here it is. Hopefully someone can just work this out and I can learn from that. Calculate the velocity needed to place a 14.5kg item (its a turkey but whatever lol) into orbit around the Earth at an elevation of 100km. The radius of the Earth is 6500km. Like I said I'm not sure to how to do this and I need to know.

2. Relevant equations
    I was given formulas ( These might have nothing to do with it, beware) Fc=mu2/r
    ac=4pi2rf2

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2008 #2

turin

Homework Helper

Read the stickies.

4. Dec 3, 2008 #3
    The point is I don't know how to do it, I have no work. Obviously I'm not going to get any help so someone just delete this...

5. Dec 3, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

In general you know that there will need to be a conservation of energy to accomplish this don't you?

So doesn't the sum of the PE at surface + KE initial = PE at orbit + KE of object in orbit?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?