1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PV Diagram help - Monatomic ideal gas change of state

1. Jan 4, 2013 #1

prj

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose a monatomic ideal gas is changed from state A to state D by one of the processes shown on the PV diagram (attached). a) Find the total work done on the gas if it follows the constant volume path A-B followed by the constant pressure path B-C-D. b)Calculate the total change in internal energy of the gas during the entire process and the total heat flow into the gas.

2. Relevant equations

W= -P(Vf-Vi)
    dU = Q + W
    dU = 3/2nRT

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the answer to part A to be 1215.6 J of work were done on the gas. My problem comes in part b. How can I determine the change in internal energy without knowing the number of moles (n) of the gas, or the temperature?

Attached Files:

• gas.png
      gas.png
      File size:
      21.3 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2013 #2
    Do you really need n to calculate the change in internal energy? Remember that U depends only on temperature, so what is the temperaure difference?

4. Jan 4, 2013 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Shouldn't that be dU = 3/2nRdT? Or ΔU = Δ(3/2nRT)? Maybe you can use the ideal gas law to write this in terms of P and V rather than nRT.

5. Jan 5, 2013 #4

prj

I think I was over-complicating the problem, but I've solved it now.

Thank you for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook