Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Python Python on Windows 7

1. Jul 18, 2016 #1
    I get to install Python on a Windows 7 box and have a few questions.

In the past I always downloaded Python from python.org and added any additional packages either with pip or downloading and installing from the package's site. Is this the best way or would Anaconda (or something else) be a better option?

And, since it's a 64-bit box, should I go with a 64-bit Python or a 32-bit version?

Any opinions welcomed.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2016 #2
    Well, whatever works for you - there are no significant functional differences. Certain distributions come with additional features that may increase your efficiency or make things more convenient, but that depends on the kind of stuff you intend to do with Python.

Certainly the 64-bit version, you want to make the full use of the computational resources you have!

4. Jul 19, 2016 #3
    That might be a good idea for Python 3 (I have no experience with that) but for Python 2.x the 64-bit version still has serious issues. I have e.g. run into completely broken file paths.

5. Jul 19, 2016 #4
    Thanks for the replies. I saw it mentioned several times to stick with the 32-bit version but no reason was given. I would think that since 64-bit machines and Python 2.7 have been around for quite some time that there shouldn't be any problems.

6. Jul 19, 2016 #5
    I would consider to dualbooth some linux distro if it is not too inconvienient, or otherwise impossible.

Most people I've heard of that has tried both tell me that it is a big hassle getting most of the scientific software packages working on Windows.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted