Installing Python on Windows 7: Pip, Anaconda, 32-bit or 64-bit?

In summary: If it is only for basic programming and analysis I'm thinking it would be worth it to go with a Linux distro and use a virtual machine for Python.
websterling
I get to install Python on a Windows 7 box and have a few questions.

In the past I always downloaded Python from python.org and added any additional packages either with pip or downloading and installing from the package's site. Is this the best way or would Anaconda (or something else) be a better option?

And, since it's a 64-bit box, should I go with a 64-bit Python or a 32-bit version?

Any opinions welcomed.

Technology news on Phys.org
websterling said:
In the past I always downloaded Python from python.org and added any additional packages either with pip or downloading and installing from the package's site. Is this the best way or would Anaconda (or something else) be a better option?
Well, whatever works for you - there are no significant functional differences. Certain distributions come with additional features that may increase your efficiency or make things more convenient, but that depends on the kind of stuff you intend to do with Python.

websterling said:
And, since it's a 64-bit box, should I go with a 64-bit Python or a 32-bit version?
Certainly the 64-bit version, you want to make the full use of the computational resources you have!

Fightfish said:
Certainly the 64-bit version, you want to make the full use of the computational resources you have!
That might be a good idea for Python 3 (I have no experience with that) but for Python 2.x the 64-bit version still has serious issues. I have e.g. run into completely broken file paths.

Thanks for the replies. I saw it mentioned several times to stick with the 32-bit version but no reason was given. I would think that since 64-bit machines and Python 2.7 have been around for quite some time that there shouldn't be any problems.

I would consider to dualbooth some linux distro if it is not too inconvienient, or otherwise impossible.

Most people I've heard of that has tried both tell me that it is a big hassle getting most of the scientific software packages working on Windows.

1. What is the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Python on Windows 7?

The main difference between 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Python on Windows 7 is the amount of memory they can access. 32-bit versions can only access up to 4GB of memory, while 64-bit versions can access much more, allowing for better performance with larger datasets and applications.

2. Which version of Python should I install on Windows 7?

This depends on your specific needs and system requirements. If you are working with large datasets or need better performance, the 64-bit version may be a better choice. However, if you are using older software or have compatibility issues, the 32-bit version may be necessary.

3. What is Pip and why do I need it when installing Python on Windows 7?

Pip is a package management system used to install and manage software packages written in Python. It allows you to easily install, upgrade, and uninstall packages, making it an essential tool for working with Python on Windows 7.

4. Should I use Anaconda to install Python on Windows 7?

Anaconda is a popular distribution of Python that includes many useful packages and tools for scientific computing and data analysis. It can be a good choice for those working in these fields, but it is not necessary for all users. Consider your specific needs and whether Anaconda's additional features would be beneficial for your work.

5. Is it possible to have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Python installed on Windows 7?

Yes, it is possible to have both versions of Python installed on Windows 7. This can be useful if you need to work with software or packages that only work with one version or the other. Keep in mind, however, that you may need to manage your environment variables and paths carefully to ensure both versions are accessible.