QED Interaction Lagrangian with two different fermions

In summary, if you want to study electron-proton scattering without considering qcd, you need to involve the structure of the proton.
lfqm
Let say I want to study electron-proton scattering (without considering proton's quarks, i.e. no QCD), which is the Lagrangian?

I've seen two different answers to this question :confused:

First one:
L=[itex]\bar{ψ}[/itex]e(i∂-me)[itex]ψ[/itex]e+[itex]\bar{ψ}[/itex]p(i∂-mp)[itex]ψ[/itex]p-[itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex]Fμ[itex]\nu[/itex]Fμ[itex]\nu[/itex]-e[itex]\bar{ψ}[/itex]eγμ[itex]ψ[/itex]eAμ+e[itex]\bar{ψ}[/itex]pγμ[itex]ψ[/itex]pAμ

Second one:
L=[itex]\bar{ψ}[/itex]e(i∂-me)[itex]ψ[/itex]e+[itex]\bar{ψ}[/itex]p(i∂-mp)[itex]ψ[/itex]p-[itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex]Fμ[itex]\nu[/itex]Fμ[itex]\nu[/itex]-g[itex]\bar{ψ}[/itex]eγμ[itex]ψ[/itex]pAμ-h[itex]\bar{ψ}[/itex]pγμ[itex]ψ[/itex]eAμ

with g,h some constants... (which constants? :confused:)

The difference is obviously the interaction part, both seem reasonable to me... but I've encountered both... So, which one is correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the proton is assumed without internal structure, one can take the first option. The coupling is really done through the electric charge whose absolute value is the same for both particles. The g and h are probably meant to take into account the proton's internal structure through the so-called form factors.

Oops, i didn't see that the spinors were mixed. Sorry. See Bill's comment.

Last edited:
Any reference that gives the second form should be run through a shredder. The interaction g ψeγμψpAμ turns a proton into an electron, violating several basic principles including charge conservation. Likewise for the h term.

Likes 1 person
Agreed with the above. Think about the Feynman diagrams: you have, e.g, an incoming fermion and anti-fermion which annihilate and then the photon decays into a different species of fermion and anti-fermion. That's how you get coupling between the different fermions: mediated by photons, since they both independently couple to the EM field.

Let say I want to study electron-proton scattering (without considering proton's quarks, i.e. no QCD), which is the Lagrangian?
If you really want to study electron-proton scattering without considering qcd then in process you have to involve the structure of proton.So while drawing the feynman diagram the vertex factor at proton site should be modified from -ieγμ to more general one obeying lorentz invariance,parity and gauge invariance.Most generally it is written as [γμF1(q2)+kqvσμvF2(q2)],apart from a overall factor.It was the basis of rosenbluth formula for electron proton scattering.

1. What is the QED Interaction Lagrangian with two different fermions?

The QED Interaction Lagrangian with two different fermions, also known as the Quantum Electrodynamics Interaction Lagrangian, is a mathematical expression that describes the interaction between two different fermions (particles with half-integer spin) through the electromagnetic force. It is a fundamental equation in the field of particle physics and is an essential tool for understanding the behavior of subatomic particles.

2. How is the QED Interaction Lagrangian derived?

The QED Interaction Lagrangian is derived from the principles of quantum field theory, which combines quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of particles and their interactions. It is based on the fundamental concept of gauge symmetry, which states that the laws of physics should remain unchanged under certain transformations. By applying this principle to the electromagnetic force, the QED Interaction Lagrangian is obtained.

3. What are the main components of the QED Interaction Lagrangian?

The QED Interaction Lagrangian consists of three main components: the fermion fields, the photon field, and the interaction term. The fermion fields represent the fermions involved in the interaction, such as electrons and positrons. The photon field represents the particle responsible for the electromagnetic force, and the interaction term describes how the fermions and photons interact with each other.

4. What is the significance of the QED Interaction Lagrangian?

The QED Interaction Lagrangian is a crucial equation in particle physics as it provides a comprehensive framework for understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions through the electromagnetic force. It has been extensively tested and validated through experiments, making it one of the most successful theories in physics. It also serves as the foundation for other theories, such as the Standard Model, which describes the fundamental particles and forces in the universe.

5. How is the QED Interaction Lagrangian used in practical applications?

The QED Interaction Lagrangian has a wide range of practical applications, including predicting the behavior of subatomic particles in high-energy accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as medical imaging techniques like positron emission tomography (PET) and electron beam lithography used in computer chip manufacturing. Additionally, the QED Interaction Lagrangian is essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of matter and antimatter, which has implications for our understanding of the early universe and the search for new forms of energy.