QM, Heisenberg's motion equations, harmonic oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the Heisenberg's motion equations for the operators x and p in a 1 dimensional harmonic oscillator. The equations are compared to classical mechanics and the approach of using Heisenberg's motion equations is questioned.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I don't really know how to solve the first part of a problem which goes like this:
Consider a 1 dimensional harmonic oscillator of mass m, Hooke's constant k and angular frequency ##\omega = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m} }##.
Remembering the classical solutions, solve the Heisenberg's motion equations for the operators ##\hat x## and ##\hat p##. Why does the quantum evolution match the classical one?

Homework Equations

Heisenberg's motion equation: ##\frac{dA(t)}{dt}=\frac{i}{h}[\hat H, \hat A (t)]=\frac{i}{h}[\hat H, \hat A](t)##. (eq.1)
Where ##\hat A(t)=U_t^*AU_t##.
Where ##U_t=\exp \{ -i\hat H t/\hbar \}##. Since ##\hat H## is self-adjoint, it follows that ##U_t## is unitary. Thus ##U_t^*=U_t^{-1}##. Also ##U_t^*=U_{-t}##.

The Attempt at a Solution

From Classical mechanics, ##H=\frac{p^2}{2m}+\frac{m\omega^2 q^2}{2}##.
This leads to ##\dot p =-m\omega ^2 q## and ##\dot q=\frac{p}{m}##. I know I must solve them but before proceeding, let's see if I can find some similar equations to solve using Heisenberg's motion equations.
In QM, ##\hat H=\frac{\hat p ^2}{2m}+\frac{m\omega ^2}{2} \hat x##.
Using eq.1, skipping arithmetical steps I reached that ##\frac{d}{dt} \hat A (t) = \frac{i}{\hbar} \{ \frac{1}{2m} [\hat p ^2 , \hat A](t) +\frac{m \omega ^2}{2} [\hat x ^2 , A](t) \}## where ##\hat p=-i\hbar \frac{d}{dx}## and ##\hat x =x##.
Now, replacing ##\hat A## by ##\hat x##, I get that ##\frac{d\hat x}{dt}=\frac{i}{\hbar} \{ \frac{1}{2m}[\hat p^2,\hat x](t) \}=\frac{i}{2m\hbar}(-\hat x \hat p^2)(t)=-\frac{i}{2m\hbar}U_t^* (\hat x \hat p ^2)U_t##.
Here I am unsure of my step. I think that it's worth ##-\frac{i}{2m\hbar}U_t ^* U_t \hat x \hat p^2=-\frac{i}{2m\hbar} \hat x \hat p ^2##.
So I get the differential equation ##\frac{d\hat x}{dt}=-\frac{i}{2m\hbar}\hat x \hat p ^2## which differs from the one of classical mechanics for ##\dot q##. I don't know what I did wrong.

Similarly for ##\frac{d \hat p}{dt}##, I found that it's worth ##\frac{m \omega ^2 }{2}(\hat x \hat p -1)## which again does not match the DE of CM.
I guess my approach is wrong?
I would like any pointer. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:
I get that [tex]\frac{d\hat x}{dt}=\frac{i}{\hbar} \{ \frac{1}{2m}[\hat p^2,\hat x](t) \}=\frac{i}{2m\hbar}(-\hat x \hat p^2)(t)[/tex]
I don't think this step is correct. try checking this again.

1. What is quantum mechanics (QM)?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the microscopic level, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It describes how these particles behave and interact with each other through mathematical equations and principles.

2. What are Heisenberg's motion equations?

Heisenberg's motion equations, also known as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, state that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This means that the more accurately we know the position of a particle, the less accurately we can know its momentum, and vice versa. This is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics.

3. How are Heisenberg's motion equations related to the uncertainty principle?

Heisenberg's motion equations are the mathematical representation of the uncertainty principle. They show that there is a limit to how precisely we can measure certain properties of a particle, such as position and momentum, at the same time.

4. What is a harmonic oscillator in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, a harmonic oscillator is a system that has a restoring force proportional to the displacement from its equilibrium position. It is a fundamental model used to describe the behavior of many physical systems, such as atoms, molecules, and even macroscopic objects.

5. How is the harmonic oscillator used in quantum mechanics?

The harmonic oscillator is used in quantum mechanics to model and understand the behavior of many physical systems, such as atoms and molecules. It helps us understand the energy levels and transitions of these systems, and is a fundamental tool in the study of quantum mechanics.