1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[QM] Help understanding this bra-ket solution

1. Jun 27, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I am working my way though Sakurai's book on Quantum MEchanics and am having some problems understanding the bra-ket notation. I keep believing I understand everything there is to it but then he will do something in a single line that I cannot understand. This is one of them. If someone could help me out it would be great.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show why the following in correct: [itex]<a''|A|a'>=<a'|A|a'>\delta_{a'a''}= a'\delta_{a'a''}[/itex]

A is an hermitian operator. a' and a'' are the eigenkets and eigenvalues of A.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The only method I can think of to coming up with the final solution is the following, which may not even be correct.

Use [itex]A|a'> = a'|a'>[/itex] since A is hermitian and rewrite as [itex]<a''|a'|a'>[/itex]
    Since a' is real [itex]a'=a'^* [/itex] so we can rewrite as [itex]a'<a''|a'>[/itex]
    From here we can use the fact that a'' and a' are orthonormal eigenkets from the same operator so [itex]<a''|a'> = \delta_{a'a''} [/itex] and we finally have [itex]a'\delta_{a'a''}[/itex]

However this method does no provide the middle expression which has me really thrown off. I am not sure if I am doing everything correct and I do not know how Sakurai came to that. I am also not 100% on what all this means either.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2013 #2
    Ugh I don't know how I just saw what they did. Multiply by the identity operator (a') between <a''| and A. It all falls together then. Still not 100% sure what all it means but I'll work on it.

4. Jun 27, 2013 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think this post belongs under Advanced Physics.

5. Jun 27, 2013 #4
    I checked the rules for the advanced physics and it said that just because it's QM doesn't mean it belongs there. So I figured this would be a good place to put it. Either way this question can be closed now as I figured it out. Just cant find out how to mark it for closure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted