[QM] Help understanding this bra-ket solution

• Thread starter JBrandonS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bra-ket Qm
In summary, the question is asking for a way to solve a problem but the person is not sure if they are doing it correctly.
JBrandonS
Hello,

I am working my way though Sakurai's book on Quantum MEchanics and am having some problems understanding the bra-ket notation. I keep believing I understand everything there is to it but then he will do something in a single line that I cannot understand. This is one of them. If someone could help me out it would be great.

Homework Statement

Show why the following in correct: [itex]<a''|A|a'>=<a'|A|a'>\delta_{a'a''}= a'\delta_{a'a''}[/itex]

A is an hermitian operator. a' and a'' are the eigenkets and eigenvalues of A.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The only method I can think of to coming up with the final solution is the following, which may not even be correct.

Use [itex]A|a'> = a'|a'>[/itex] since A is hermitian and rewrite as [itex]<a''|a'|a'>[/itex]
Since a' is real [itex]a'=a'^* [/itex] so we can rewrite as [itex]a'<a''|a'>[/itex]
From here we can use the fact that a'' and a' are orthonormal eigenkets from the same operator so [itex]<a''|a'> = \delta_{a'a''} [/itex] and we finally have [itex]a'\delta_{a'a''}[/itex]

However this method does no provide the middle expression which has me really thrown off. I am not sure if I am doing everything correct and I do not know how Sakurai came to that. I am also not 100% on what all this means either.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ugh I don't know how I just saw what they did. Multiply by the identity operator (a') between <a''| and A. It all falls together then. Still not 100% sure what all it means but I'll work on it.

JBrandonS said:
Ugh I don't know how I just saw what they did. Multiply by the identity operator (a') between <a''| and A. It all falls together then. Still not 100% sure what all it means but I'll work on it.

I think this post belongs under Advanced Physics.

rude man said:
I think this post belongs under Advanced Physics.

I checked the rules for the advanced physics and it said that just because it's QM doesn't mean it belongs there. So I figured this would be a good place to put it. Either way this question can be closed now as I figured it out. Just can't find out how to mark it for closure.

Dear student,

Thank you for reaching out for help with understanding the bra-ket notation and the given problem. I can understand how it can be confusing, but I will try my best to explain it to you.

First, let's break down the notation. The bra-ket notation is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent vectors and operators. The "bra" <a''| represents a vector in the dual space, also known as the bra space, and the "ket" |a'> represents a vector in the original space, also known as the ket space. The notation <a''|A|a'> means the inner product of the bra vector <a''| and the operator A applied to the ket vector |a'>. In simpler terms, it represents the value obtained by applying the operator A to the ket vector |a'>, and then taking the inner product with the bra vector <a''|.

Now, let's move on to the problem at hand. The first step to understanding the solution is to remember that the operator A is Hermitian, which means it is equal to its own adjoint. In other words, A=A†. This property allows us to rewrite the expression A|a'> as A|a'> = A†|a'>.

Next, we can use the fact that a' and a'' are eigenkets of A with corresponding eigenvalues a' and a''. This means that when the operator A is applied to these vectors, it simply gives back the same vector multiplied by its eigenvalue, i.e., A|a'> = a'|a'> and A†|a''> = a''|a''>.

Now, let's come back to the original expression <a''|A|a'>. We can rewrite this as <a''|A|a'> = <a''|A†|a'>, using the property A=A†. Substituting the expressions we obtained earlier, we get <a''|A†|a'> = <a''|a''>|a'> = a''<a''|a'>.

Finally, we can use the orthonormality property of eigenkets to simplify the expression further. Since a'' and a' are orthonormal, their inner product <a''|a'> is equal to 1 if a''=a' and 0 if a''≠a'. This

1. What is the meaning of the bra-ket notation used in quantum mechanics?

The bra-ket notation, also known as Dirac notation, is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent quantum states. The "bra" <A| represents the dual vector of a state vector |A>.

2. How is the bra-ket notation used in quantum mechanics?

The bra-ket notation is used to represent quantum states, operators, and measurements in a concise and elegant form. It allows for easy manipulation of quantum states and simplifies many calculations in quantum mechanics.

3. Why is the bra-ket notation important in quantum mechanics?

The bra-ket notation is important because it provides a way to represent and manipulate quantum states and operators in a concise and elegant form. It also allows for the easy visualization and understanding of quantum processes, making it an essential tool in quantum mechanics.

4. Can you explain the difference between a bra and a ket in the bra-ket notation?

The "bra" <A| represents the dual vector of a state vector |A>. In other words, the bra vector is the Hermitian conjugate of the ket vector. This allows for the calculation of inner products between two vectors, which is essential in quantum mechanics.

5. How do you read and interpret a bra-ket solution in quantum mechanics?

To read and interpret a bra-ket solution in quantum mechanics, you need to understand the basic rules of the notation. The bra-ket solution consists of a bra vector on the left and a ket vector on the right, with an operator in between. The solution is read as "the operator acting on the state vector." For example, <B|A> would be read as "the operator acting on the state vector |A> and then taking the inner product with the bra vector <B|."