QM Notation Deleted | Easy Solutions

In summary, the brackets in mathematical notation, \langle \rangle, indicate the average of the values within them. The notation <j^2> represents the average of the squares of j values, while <j>^2 represents the square of the average of j values. This is important to note because the two quantities are not equal in general. In particular, \langle j^2 \rangle is not equal to \langle j \rangle ^2. Additionally, \langle j^2 \rangle - \langle j \rangle^2 = \sigma_j^2 is a formula for the variance.
g.lemaitre
deleted

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what the brackets mean in general?

Edit: pay attention to this line in particular.

Beware: The average of the squares, [itex]\langle j^2 \rangle[/itex], is not equal, in general, to the square of the average, [itex]\langle j \rangle ^2[/itex]

This tells you very explicitly what the interpretation of both quantities should be.

I didn't see that sentence the square of the average is not the same as the average of squares. But now i do.

Nevertheless I'm truly amazed that you saw the question almost the moment I posted it and answered it in about 5 seconds. Wow!

I think the <> notation just means average.

so the <j^2> means the average of the squares of j values

and <j>^2 is the square of the average of j values

But I guess what the brackets mean is that you have the take the average of what is between them, so pretend { is a bracket. If you know the latex for brackets please let me know.

{j^2} where j is 2,3,4 would be the average of 4 9 16 hence a little above 9 whereas {j}^2 would be 9 exactly, right?

Use \langle and \rangle for pretty brackets (not horrendously bad ones, which are what <> give you).

Otherwise, yes, you have the basic idea now. You should be accustomed to seeing [itex]\langle j^2 \rangle - \langle j \rangle^2 = \sigma_j^2[/itex] as well. This is one formula for the variance.

Related to QM Notation Deleted | Easy Solutions

1. What is QM notation and why is it important?

QM notation, also known as quantum mechanics notation, is a mathematical system used to describe the behavior and interactions of particles at a subatomic level. It is important because it allows scientists to accurately model and predict the behavior of quantum systems, which has led to many technological advancements in fields such as computing and communication.

2. What does it mean when a QM notation is deleted?

When a QM notation is deleted, it means that a particular term or symbol is not included in the mathematical expression being used. This could be due to simplification or because the term is no longer relevant in the context of the calculation.

3. How can QM notation be used to solve problems?

QM notation can be used to solve problems by allowing scientists to write equations and manipulate them to find solutions that accurately describe the behavior of quantum systems. This notation allows for complex calculations and predictions to be made, leading to a better understanding of the quantum world.

4. Are there any common mistakes when using QM notation?

Yes, there are some common mistakes that can occur when using QM notation. These include misinterpreting symbols, not following the correct mathematical rules, and not accounting for all relevant factors in a calculation. It is important for scientists to be thorough and precise when using QM notation to avoid these mistakes.

5. How does QM notation relate to other branches of science?

QM notation is closely related to other branches of science, such as chemistry and physics. Many principles and laws in these fields are based on quantum mechanics, and QM notation is often used in their calculations and experiments. QM notation also has applications in fields like biology and engineering, as it can be used to model and understand the behavior of molecules and materials at a microscopic level.