1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM simple harmonic oscillator

1. Oct 16, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] QM simple harmonic oscillator

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If I have a particle in an SHO potential and an electric field, I can represent its potential as:

[tex] V(x) = 0.5 * m \omega^2 (x - \frac{qE}{mw^2})^2 - \frac{1}{2m}(\frac{qE}{\omega})^2 [/tex]

I know the solutions to the TISE:

[tex] -\hbar^2 /2m \frac{d^2 \psi}{ dx^2} + 0.5 m\omege^2 x^2\psi(x) = E\psi(x) [/tex] (*)

(Those are different Es)

So, I plug V(x) into the TISE and get:

[tex] -\hbar^2 /2m \frac{d^2 \psi}{ dx^2} + (0.5 * m \omega^2 (x - \frac{qE}{mw^2})^2 - \frac{1}{2m}(\frac{qE}{\omega})^2) \psi(x) = E\psi(x) [/tex]

Now, since we only shift and translated the potential, I should be able to find a substitution for x that yields the equation (*) in a new variable y = f(x), right?

The problem is, after I move the constant term to the RHS, I cannot find the right substitution. What am I doing wrong?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2007 #2
    I think that I can even prove that there is no constant that you can add to x to find a suitable substitution. Something must be wrong here?

4. Oct 17, 2007 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you tried the obvious substitution: [itex]\xi = x-qE/m\omega ^2 ~[/itex] ?

You can ignore the additive constant and refer all energies relative to that value.

5. Oct 17, 2007 #4
    Yes, I figured it out. The problem was that I was under the false impression that I had to substitute epsilon for every x in that equation, which does not work.

I realized, however, that you can substitute for psi(x) separately since it is a factor on both sides of the equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?