Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quad comparator not comparingPlease Help

1. Jan 24, 2010 #1
    Hello,

Im having problems with my circuit, I am using a quad comparator IC (LM339N) but for some reason the output its generating does not seem to change with either changing inverting or non inverting inputs.

I mean, the output, remains same even when the non inverting input (+) is less than, inverting one.

the reference voltage, is inverting one, which I have grounded(also pin12 grounded with it), and with supplying VCC to +ve one(non inverting) , and to Pin 3 of the LM339.

Please Help !

Faraz Nizamani

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2010 #2
    Here is a link to a datasheet for this device: http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM139.pdf [Broken]

Now here are a few things to check:

This device is open-collector, so that it needs a pull-up resistor at the output: have you fitted one?

The common-mode input voltage range has limits 0V to V+ -1.5V: are you respecting that? Possibly not if your reference voltage is 0V; it may be preferable to have a positive reference voltage.

Check all the other connections, and if the IC is in a socket be sure that all pins have seated correctly.

Finally, if all else fails perhaps you have a defective IC. Try another one.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Jan 24, 2010 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe the LM339 has a open collector output. Try putting a 3kohm pull-up resistor on it. Take a look at the datasheet:"www.national.com/ds/LM/LM339.pdf"[/URL]

Oops. Adjuster beat me to it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook