Quad comparator not comparingPlease Help

Hello,

Im having problems with my circuit, I am using a quad comparator IC (LM339N) but for some reason the output its generating does not seem to change with either changing inverting or non inverting inputs.

I mean, the output, remains same even when the non inverting input (+) is less than, inverting one.

the reference voltage, is inverting one, which I have grounded(also pin12 grounded with it), and with supplying VCC to +ve one(non inverting) , and to Pin 3 of the LM339.

Please Help !

Faraz Nizamani

Answers and Replies

Here is a link to a datasheet for this device: http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM139.pdf [Broken]

Now here are a few things to check:

This device is open-collector, so that it needs a pull-up resistor at the output: have you fitted one?

The common-mode input voltage range has limits 0V to V+ -1.5V: are you respecting that? Possibly not if your reference voltage is 0V; it may be preferable to have a positive reference voltage.

Check all the other connections, and if the IC is in a socket be sure that all pins have seated correctly.

Finally, if all else fails perhaps you have a defective IC. Try another one.

Last edited by a moderator:
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I believe the LM339 has a open collector output. Try putting a 3kohm pull-up resistor on it. Take a look at the datasheet:"www.national.com/ds/LM/LM339.pdf"[/URL]

Oops. Adjuster beat me to it.

Last edited by a moderator: