Quadratic equation and absolute value .

For more resources on absolute value and quadratic equations, you can refer to your textbook or do a quick internet search for tutorials or practice problems. Khan Academy and Math Is Fun are also helpful websites for learning these topics.
siddscool19
Quadratic equation and absolute value...

Consider equation |x2-2x-3|=m, m belongs to R
If the given equation has no solution then find the interval in which the m lies.

2. Homework Equations -Given in question

Since this equation is in modulus there would be two equations:
One is : x2-2x-3=m
Second : x2-2x-3= -m

Discrimant=b2-4ac

Discriminant of 1st equation= 16+4m
Discriminant of 2nd equation= 16-4m

Discrimant for both the equations should be less than 0 (so that the roots are imaginary and there is no solution)

After solving D<0
I get m<-4
and m>4

I would have to take intersection of these equations to get the final answer. But there intersection would be a null set.

But the answer is not null set :(

Please tell me all my mistakes in my solution. Because there are similar problems in which also i am facing problems but since it wouldn't be good to ask all problems I am asking one only. :)

Physics news on Phys.org

You were spot on almost to the end. Here is where you fell down.
I would have to take intersection of these equations

No, you want the union of those inequalities. The solutions to your quadratic equations will be complex if D < 0, which happens if m < - 4 OR m > 4.

siddscool19 said:
Since this equation is in modulus there would be two equations:
One is : x^2-2x-3=m
Second : x^2-2x-3= -m
I think this is where you made your mistake.
You wrote down two equations, but you did not provide any annotation to go with them; how exactly do these equations relate to the original one?

You relation you assumed is
"x=a is a solution to |x^2 - 2x - 3| = m" if and only if both "x=a is a solution to x^2 - 2x - 3 = m" and "x=a is a solution to x^2 - 2x - 3 = -m"​
which I'm sure you can see is not true.

With care, you could "think" your way to the proper relation, but it's probably easier to appeal to the definition of absolute value and do the algebraic manipulations.

(The definition of absolute value contains two cases -- so this would mean that you have to break your problem up into the corresponding two cases, and solve each case separately)

Can you help me with the first few steps ?
I think that would help me learn better since I am new to this topic..

(Also if you know any useful resources related to absolute value and quadratic equation please let me know It would be a lot of help )

Between I didn't get why you think that I assumed this
"x=a is a solution to |x^2 - 2x - 3| = m" if and only if both "x=a is a solution to x^2 - 2x - 3 = m" and "x=a is a solution to x^2 - 2x - 3 = -m"
?

What I did is used |m|=m and |-m| is also equal to m.

So x^2-2x-3=m
and x^2-2x-3= -m

siddscool19 said:
I think that would help me learn better since I am new to this topic..

(Also if you know any useful resources related to absolute value and quadratic equation please let me know It would be a lot of help )

Between I didn't get why you think that I assumed this
"x=a is a solution to |x^2 - 2x - 3| = m" if and only if both "x=a is a solution to x^2 - 2x - 3 = m" and "x=a is a solution to x^2 - 2x - 3 = -m"
?
As Hurkyl and siddscool19 have already told you, this is your mistake. |x|= 2 if x= 2 or -2, not "and".
""x=a is a solution to |x^2 - 2x - 3| = m" if either "x=a is a solution to x^2 - 2x - 3 = m" or "x=a is a solution to x^2 - 2x - 3 = -m"

What I did is used |m|=m and |-m| is also equal to m.

So x^2-2x-3=m
and x^2-2x-3= -m

That is wrong. x^2-2x-3= m or x^2- 2x- 3= -m.

HallsofIvy said:
As Hurkyl and siddscool19 have already told you, this is your mistake. |x|= 2 if x= 2 or -2, not "and".
""x=a is a solution to |x^2 - 2x - 3| = m" if either "x=a is a solution to x^2 - 2x - 3 = m" or "x=a is a solution to x^2 - 2x - 3 = -m"
Only if. You need to add another condition to make this true if you use 'if'.

siddscool19 said:
Just remember the definition of absolute value breaks into two cases:

[tex]|z| = \begin{cases} z & z \geq 0 \\ -z & z < 0 \end{cases}[/tex]

Therefore, when |x^2 - 2x - 3| is involved, the first step is often

"[itex]x^2 - 2x - 3 \geq 0[/itex]" or "[itex]x^2 - 2x - 3 < 0[/itex]"

and the second step is usually

Assume [itex]x^2 - 2x - 3 \geq 0[/itex]

What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an equation of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is a type of polynomial equation that can have up to 2 solutions.

What is the formula for solving a quadratic equation?

The formula for solving a quadratic equation is x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. This is known as the quadratic formula, and it can be used to find the solutions to any quadratic equation.

What is absolute value?

Absolute value is a mathematical concept that represents the distance of a number from 0 on a number line. It is denoted by two vertical lines surrounding the number, and it always results in a positive value.

How do you solve an absolute value equation?

To solve an absolute value equation, you must isolate the absolute value expression and then consider both the positive and negative values of the expression to find all possible solutions. You can also use a graph to visualize the solutions of an absolute value equation.

What is the relationship between quadratic equations and absolute value?

Quadratic equations and absolute value are related in the sense that they both involve finding the solutions or roots to an equation. However, quadratic equations involve finding the solutions to a polynomial equation, while absolute value equations involve finding the solutions to an equation with an absolute value expression.