Quadratic Formula: When to Use it?

In summary, the quadratic formula is used to solve equations of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0 and can be applied to any equation of this form. However, if the equation can be easily factorized, it is not necessary to use the quadratic formula. The formula also applies to other situations where a quadratic form is present, such as in equations involving trigonometric functions. The Neolithic Age, which predates the development of formal mathematics, did not use the quadratic formula. However, quadratics can be used to describe natural phenomena, such as the trajectory of a thrown object, which may have been observed by people during this time period.
Lukeitfc
I know this is a basic question, but can someone please help me with WHEN to use the quadratic formula, i just wondered, can it be used on any quadratic?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lukeitfc said:
I know this is a basic question, but can someone please help me with WHEN to use the quadratic formula, i just wondered, can it be used on any quadratic?
If a quadratic equation can be factorised then that is easier but you normally only use it when you can't factorise the quadratic and you want to know what x is.

The Bob (2004 ©)

thanks mate, just wonderin

You can use it whenever you want to solve for the roots (solutions) of an equation of the form:

[tex]ax^2 + bx + c = 0[/tex]

It works for any equation of this form. However, in some cases, it is unnecessary, as The Bob has already said. For example, if you have

[tex]2x^2 + 4x - 6 = 0[/tex]

this factorises to give

[tex]2(x - 1)(x + 3) = 0[/tex],

and you can see immediately that the solutions are x=1 or -3.

It's worth noting, I think, that the quadratic formula works on anything that can be expressed in quadratic form. For instance, if you have an equation like

sin^2(x) + 2sin(x) - 2 = 0

you can use the quadratic formula to solve for sin(x) - the equation is quadratic in sin(x).

If you have an equation like

x^4 - 3x^2 + 5 = 0

you can use the quadratic formula to solve for x^2: the equation is quadratic in x^2. This last may be seen more easily if we use the substitution y = x^2: in that case, we have

y^2 -3y + 5 = 0

This is obviously a case where the quadratic formula applies. You use it to solve for y, then remember that y = x^2.

There are a lot of places where this knowledge comes in very handy.

The Bob said:
If a quadratic equation can be factorised then that is easier but you normally only use it when you can't factorise the quadratic and you want to know what x is.

The correct term is factor, not factorise.

Sirus said:
The correct term is factor, not factorise.

You're speaking American. He's speaking English. :)

Hmm, after some brief googling action, I think you're right. However, my claim was not baseless: I checked my Merriam-Webster's Dictionary, and factorise is not listed as a word, while factor is; one of the definitions is, of course, the mathematical one with which we are concerned here. It is an American dictionary, though, so I guess that explains it.

for someone who knows history, how did the Neolithic use the quadratic equation?
The Neolithic Age was before the first civilization.

Raza said:
for someone who knows history, how did the Neolithic use the quadratic equation?
The Neolithic Age was before the first civilization.

If you mean the quadratic formula, they didn't. The Neolithic (New Stone) Age was before the development of formal mathematics.

If you mean quadratics in general - again, they didn't. Same reason.

If you mean situations inwhich quadratics are used today to describe them, then there were a lot. Quadratics, for instance, do a good job of describing the path a rock or a spear takes when thrown (if air resistance is neglected). I doubt, however, that someone without a written language would be capable of, or for that matter need to, solve something like that to catch dinner.

1. What is the quadratic formula and when should I use it?

The quadratic formula is a mathematical equation used to solve quadratic equations, which have the form ax² + bx + c = 0. It can be used to find the solutions, or roots, of these equations when factoring is not possible.

2. How do I know if I need to use the quadratic formula?

You should use the quadratic formula when you have a quadratic equation that cannot be easily solved by factoring. This may be the case when the equation has non-integer coefficients, or when the equation is not in standard form.

3. Can the quadratic formula be used for all quadratic equations?

Yes, the quadratic formula can be used for all quadratic equations, regardless of the values of a, b, and c. It is a general formula that applies to all quadratic equations.

4. Are there any other methods for solving quadratic equations?

Yes, there are other methods for solving quadratic equations, such as factoring, completing the square, and graphing. However, the quadratic formula is the most reliable and efficient method, especially for equations with non-integer coefficients.

5. Is there a specific order or steps to follow when using the quadratic formula?

Yes, there is a specific order to follow when using the quadratic formula. First, make sure the equation is in standard form. Then, identify the values of a, b, and c. Next, substitute these values into the formula and simplify. Finally, solve for the roots by using basic algebraic operations.