Quadrupole Moment: Definition & Matrix

• Thread starter fizikx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moment
In summary, the conversation is about finding the quadrupole moment for a system of three point charges placed along the z-axis. The links provided may help in understanding the concept, with the quadrupole moment defined as a sum of the charges and their respective positions.
fizikx
quadrupole moment??

The problem basically states that there are three point charges: q, -2q, q, placed along the z-axis at: a, 0, -a. The problem asks to find the monopole moment, dipole moment and quadrupole moment. I've been able to get the first to, but I have no idea how to go about getting the quadrupole moment. Tge prof never really explained it, so can someone please explain what the quadrupole moment matrix is...

Physics news on Phys.org
fizikx said:
The problem basically states that there are three point charges: q, -2q, q, placed along the z-axis at: a, 0, -a. The problem asks to find the monopole moment, dipole moment and quadrupole moment. I've been able to get the first to, but I have no idea how to go about getting the quadrupole moment. Tge prof never really explained it, so can someone please explain what the quadrupole moment matrix is...

These links may help

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elequad.html#c2
http://orca.phys.uvic.ca/~tatum/elmag/em3.pdf - pdf file

Last edited by a moderator:
For a collection of point charges, the quadrupole moment is defined as
Q=Sum_i{q_i r_i^2 [3cos^2(theta_i)-1]/2}.
For your case, theta is either 0 or 180.

Thank you both:):)

1. What is a quadrupole moment?

A quadrupole moment is a physical quantity that describes the distribution of electric charge or mass in a system. It is a measure of the shape and symmetry of the system, and it is often used in the study of atoms, molecules, and nuclei.

2. How is the quadrupole moment defined?

The quadrupole moment is defined as the second moment of the charge or mass distribution, also known as the moment of inertia. It is calculated by multiplying the charge or mass at each point in the system by the square of its distance from a reference point, and then summing these values over the entire system.

3. What is the difference between an electric quadrupole moment and a mass quadrupole moment?

An electric quadrupole moment describes the distribution of electric charge in a system, while a mass quadrupole moment describes the distribution of mass. They are calculated using the same formula, but with different values for the charge or mass at each point.

4. How is the quadrupole moment represented mathematically?

The quadrupole moment is typically represented by a tensor, or a matrix of numbers that describes the magnitude and direction of the moment in three-dimensional space. It can also be represented by a spherical harmonic expansion or a multipole expansion.

5. What are some applications of the quadrupole moment in science?

The quadrupole moment is used in many areas of science, including chemistry, physics, and astronomy. It is often used to study the structure and properties of atoms and molecules, to analyze the shape and symmetry of nuclei, and to understand the behavior of electromagnetic fields in different systems.