Quantum Harmonic Oscillator

In summary, the homework statement states that to solve for ##\left \langle x^2 \right\rangle## for the states ##\psi _0## and ##\psi _1## by explicit integration, you must use a generating function for all the moments of x.
Astrum

Homework Statement

Compute ##\left \langle x^2 \right\rangle## for the states ##\psi _0## and ##\psi _1## by explicit integration.

Homework Equations

##\xi\equiv \sqrt{\frac{m \omega}{\hbar}}x##
##α \equiv (\frac{m \omega}{\pi \hbar})^{1/4}##
##\psi _0 = α e^{\frac{\xi ^2}{2}}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not getting the right answer here:

$$\left \langle x^2 \right\rangle= α^2\int ^{\infty} _{-\infty} \psi ^* x^2 \psi dx = α^2\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}\int ^{\infty} _{-\infty} \psi ^* [(a_+)^2 + (a_+ a_- )+(a_- a_ )+(a_- )^2]\psi dx$$

This follows from the fact that ##x^2## can be defined by ##x=\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}}(a_+ +a_- )##

Because of the orthogonality of ##\psi _n## with ##\psi _m## we can cancel the first and last terms out, leaving ##(a_+ a_-)+(a_- a_ )##

If I'm not mistaken, this should mean the integral goes to zero because ##a_{\pm}\psi _0 = 0##?

I know the correct answer is ##\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}##

If somebody could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Astrum said:
If I'm not mistaken, this should mean the integral goes to zero because ##a_{\pm}\psi _0 = 0##?
You are mistaken. There is an error in that last equation.

Astrum said:

Homework Statement

Compute ##\left \langle x^2 \right\rangle## for the states ##\psi _0## and ##\psi _1## by explicit integration.
My interpretation of "explicit integration" is that you have to integrate functions of x, not work with operators.

If I'm not suppose to use operators, that would mean I would just directly integrate through with ##x^2##?

I'm fairly certain I'm expected to use operators. From a few pages back (direct quote):

There's a beautiful device for evaluating integrals of this kind (involving powers of ##x## or ##p##): use the definite to express ##x## and ##p## in terms of the raising and lowering operators.

I think I noticed my mistake, which was that the final product should be ##\psi ^* [(a_+ a_- )\psi + (a_- a_+ )\psi] = \psi ^2##

$$α^2\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}\int ^{\infty} _{-\infty}e^{-\xi ^2}dx$$

Something doesn't feel right here.

The notation is a bit inconvenient. It's much easier to use the bra-ket notation. So let [itex]|n \rangle[/itex] be the normalized eigenvectors of the number operator [itex]\hat{N}=\hat{a}^{\dagger} \hat{a}[/itex].

Further you need
[tex]\hat{a} |n \rangle=\sqrt{n} |n-1 \rangle, \quad \hat{a}^{\dagger} |n \rangle=\sqrt{n+1} |n+1 \rangle.[/tex]
Then it's easy to evaluate
[tex]\langle n|(\hat{a}+\hat{a}^{\dagger})^2 |n \rangle =\langle n|(\hat{a}^2+\hat{a}^{\dagger 2} + \hat{a} \hat{a}^{\dagger} + \hat{a}^{\dagger} \hat{a} |n \rangle ,[/tex]
using the above equations and the orthonormality of the eigenstates,
[tex]\langle n'|n \rangle=\delta_{nn'}.[/tex]

Astrum said:
If I'm not suppose to use operators, that would mean I would just directly integrate through with ##x^2##?

I'm fairly certain I'm expected to use operators. From a few pages back (direct quote):

There's a beautiful device for evaluating integrals of this kind (involving powers of ##x## or ##p##): use the definite to express ##x## and ##p## in terms of the raising and lowering operators.
It is just my interpretation of the question. It could be that the question is asking to use explicit in order to contrast with the same calculation using operators.

Astrum said:
##\psi ^* [(a_+ a_- )\psi + (a_- a_+ )\psi] = \psi ^2##
That is not correct. You have to get a different result for ##\psi_0## and ##\psi_1##. (And note that ##\psi^2 \neq \psi^* \psi = |\psi|^2##).

Argh. Sorry, I overread that you are forced to solve the question by "direct integration".

The trick is to use a generating function for all the moments of [itex]x[/itex] needed. In this case it's simly
[tex]f(z)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp(-z x^2)=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{z}}.[/tex]
Then you get all moments by differentiation (for odd powers of [itex]x[/itex] you get of course 0 anyway),
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^{2n} \exp(-z x^2)=(-1)^n \frac{\mathrm{d}^n}{\mathrm{d} z^n} f(z).[/tex]

DrClaude said:
It is just my interpretation of the question. It could be that the question is asking to use explicit in order to contrast with the same calculation using operators.

That is not correct. You have to get a different result for ##\psi_0## and ##\psi_1##. (And note that ##\psi^2 \neq \psi^* \psi = |\psi|^2##).

I worked out the integral in post #3 and it came out correct for ##\psi _0##, so I'm not sure what's going on now, I haven't tried it yet for ##\psi _1 ##, but I think it'll work out.

Astrum said:
I worked out the integral in post #3 and it came out correct for ##\psi _0##, so I'm not sure what's going on now, I haven't tried it yet for ##\psi _1 ##, but I think it'll work out.
Yes
$$
\psi_0^* (a_+ a_- + a_- a_+) \psi_0 = \psi_0^* \psi_0
$$
but
$$
\psi_1^* (a_+ a_- + a_- a_+) \psi_1 \neq \psi_1^* \psi_1
$$

Astrum said:

You are missing an x^2 in #3.

Related to Quantum Harmonic Oscillator

1. What is a Quantum Harmonic Oscillator?

A Quantum Harmonic Oscillator is a physical system that exhibits harmonic motion and follows the principles of quantum mechanics. It is a model used to describe the behavior of small particles, such as atoms or molecules, in a variety of fields including physics, chemistry, and engineering.

2. How does a Quantum Harmonic Oscillator differ from a Classical Harmonic Oscillator?

While a Classical Harmonic Oscillator is described by classical mechanics, a Quantum Harmonic Oscillator takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics. This means that the energy levels of the oscillator are quantized, and the particles exhibit wave-like behavior.

3. What is the significance of the energy levels in a Quantum Harmonic Oscillator?

The energy levels in a Quantum Harmonic Oscillator are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values. This has important implications for the behavior of the system, as the particles can only exist in certain energy states and cannot transition between them without absorbing or emitting energy.

4. How is the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator used in real-world applications?

The Quantum Harmonic Oscillator is used in a wide range of fields, including quantum mechanics, spectroscopy, and quantum computing. It is a fundamental model that helps us understand the behavior of particles at the atomic and molecular level, and has many practical applications in technology and research.

5. Can the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator be solved exactly?

Yes, the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator can be solved exactly using mathematical techniques such as the Schrödinger equation. This allows us to calculate the energy levels and wave functions of the system, and make predictions about its behavior.