Quantum Mechanics: Expected momentum of a real wavefunction

In summary, the normalization constant for the given wavefunction is \sqrt{3/1000}, the position operator <x> is 30/4, and the momentum operator <p> is 0.
galaxyrocker

Homework Statement

Given the wavefunction, [itex]\psi(x) = Cx[/itex] for 0 < x < 10 and [itex]\psi(x) = 0[/itex] for all other values.

What is the normalization constant of C? I got [itex]\sqrt{3/1000}[/itex].
What is <x>? I got 30/4.
What is <p>? Here is where I'm confused.

Homework Equations

[tex]\langle p \rangle = C^2 \frac{\hbar}{i} \int_0^{10} \psi^* \frac{d}{dx} \psi \, dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked out the integral, and got [itex](3/20)(\hbar/i)[/itex].

It's here that I can't figure out whether to leave it as that, or say it's 0, since the momentum is an observable, and must be real. I realize that the function is odd, but I'm not integrating it from -a to a, which means I can't just say it's 0 for that reason.

[strike]PS: Sorry for my horrible usage of LaTeX.[/strike]
Mod note: Fixed your LaTeX for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try integrating by parts. Also, your notation is not good. You already pulled the C's out of the integral so it should be [itex] \langle p \rangle = C^2 \frac{\hbar}{i} \int_0^{10} x \frac{d}{dx} x \, dx [/itex]NVM the above ;(. Think about it. You know that <p> is real and you get a purely imaginary result. What can you conclude? ;)

Last edited:
I conclude that I am either wrong, or that <p> = 0. I'm inclined to the former, but the latter makes sense, because if I was integrating around the origin (say, from -5 to 5 instead), it would cancel.

galaxyrocker said:
I conclude that I am either wrong, or that <p> = 0. I'm inclined to the former, but the latter makes sense, because if I was integrating around the origin (say, from -5 to 5 instead), it would cancel.

But your integral goes from 0 to 10, so <p> = 0.

Marioqwe said:
But your integral goes from 0 to 10, so <p> = 0.

Yes.

Related to Quantum Mechanics: Expected momentum of a real wavefunction

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy on a microscopic scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is a fundamental theory that explains the behavior of particles and their interactions through the use of mathematical equations.

2. What is a wavefunction in quantum mechanics?

A wavefunction is a mathematical description of a quantum system, which contains all the information about the possible states and behavior of the system. It is represented by a complex-valued function and is the basis for calculating the expected values of observable properties, such as momentum, in quantum mechanics.

3. What is expected momentum in quantum mechanics?

Expected momentum is the average value of the momentum of a particle in a given quantum state. It is calculated by taking the integral of the momentum operator over the wavefunction of the particle. This value represents the most probable momentum that the particle will have if measured.

4. How is the expected momentum of a real wavefunction determined?

The expected momentum of a real wavefunction is determined by taking the expectation value of the momentum operator over the wavefunction. This is done by multiplying the wavefunction by the complex conjugate of the momentum operator and integrating over all space. The resulting value is the expected momentum of the particle.

5. Why is the expected momentum of a real wavefunction important?

The expected momentum of a real wavefunction is important because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles in quantum systems. By calculating the expected momentum, we can determine the most probable outcomes of experiments and understand the behavior of particles at a microscopic level.