1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics: Expected momentum of a real wavefunction

1. Oct 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the wavefunction, [itex]\psi(x) = Cx[/itex] for 0 < x < 10 and [itex]\psi(x) = 0[/itex] for all other values.

What is the normalization constant of C? I got [itex]\sqrt{3/1000}[/itex].
    What is <x>? I got 30/4.
    What is <p>? Here is where I'm confused.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\langle p \rangle = C^2 \frac{\hbar}{i} \int_0^{10} \psi^* \frac{d}{dx} \psi \, dx[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I worked out the integral, and got [itex](3/20)(\hbar/i)[/itex].

It's here that I can't figure out whether to leave it as that, or say it's 0, since the momentum is an observable, and must be real. I realize that the function is odd, but I'm not integrating it from -a to a, which means I can't just say it's 0 for that reason.

[strike]PS: Sorry for my horrible usage of LaTeX.[/strike]
    Mod note: Fixed your LaTeX for you.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2012 #2
    Try integrating by parts. Also, your notation is not good. You already pulled the C's out of the integral so it should be [itex] \langle p \rangle = C^2 \frac{\hbar}{i} \int_0^{10} x \frac{d}{dx} x \, dx [/itex]

NVM the above ;(. Think about it. You know that <p> is real and you get a purely imaginary result. What can you conclude? ;)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  4. Oct 5, 2012 #3
    I conclude that I am either wrong, or that <p> = 0. I'm inclined to the former, but the latter makes sense, because if I was integrating around the origin (say, from -5 to 5 instead), it would cancel.

5. Oct 5, 2012 #4
    But your integral goes from 0 to 10, so <p> = 0.

6. Oct 5, 2012 #5
    Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook