Quantum mechanics (mathematics): exercise book

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for an introductory quantum mechanics book with a focus on mathematical aspects and with a lot of exercises for exam preparation. The person has already read "Picasso" but did not find it useful. They are specifically looking for exercises on angular momentum, spin, indistinguishable particles, Hamiltonian in different coordinates, and perturbation. They ask for book recommendations and mention that they have looked at Liboff's book, which seems interesting.
RGalbiati
Hi everybody
I'm currently looking for an introductory quantum mechanics book which emphasizes the mathematical aspects of it. I especially need exercises in order to pass a written exam, but I'd like to have even lots of examples.
I've already gone through the whole "Picasso" (it's an italian book but it has also been translated so maybe you know it), but I didn't like it a lot because it has just a few standard exercises.

Some of the topics I'd like to have lots of exercises about:
- angular momentum
- spin
- indistiguishable particles
- Hamiltonian in different sets of coordinates
- perturbation

Can you suggest me some books?

Thank you a lot :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I took a look at it and it seems interesting!
Anything else?

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and particles. It is based on mathematical principles and helps us understand the fundamental laws that govern the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. Why is it important to study quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is important because it explains many phenomena that classical mechanics cannot, such as the behavior of atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles. It has also led to the development of technologies like transistors, lasers, and computer memory, which have revolutionized modern life.

3. How does quantum mechanics use mathematics?

Quantum mechanics uses mathematical equations and concepts, such as complex numbers, operators, and wave functions, to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. These mathematical tools help us make predictions about the behavior of particles and understand the underlying principles of quantum mechanics.

4. Is it difficult to understand quantum mechanics mathematically?

Quantum mechanics can be challenging to understand mathematically, as it involves complex mathematical concepts and equations. However, with patience, practice, and a strong foundation in mathematics, it is possible to grasp the fundamental principles and make use of the mathematical tools in quantum mechanics.

5. What are some common applications of quantum mechanics?

Some common applications of quantum mechanics include semiconductor technology, medical imaging, cryptography, and quantum computing. Understanding the mathematical principles of quantum mechanics is essential for further developments in these and other fields.