Calculate the minimum frequency needed to start the electron

In summary, the conversation discusses a student from Spain who needs to pass physics at High School in order to join university. The topic of extracting an electron in a metal with a given energy of 3.8 eV is brought up, and the minimum frequency needed to start the electron is calculated using Einstein's equation of photoelectric effect. However, there is a discrepancy in the units used and the conversation ends with a suggestion to use dimensional analysis for accuracy.
pyxolo
Hi there.
I am a student from Spain and I am about to join the University but I have to pass physics at High School.

Here It is:

The work of extracting an Eletron in a metal is 3.8 eV. Calculate the minimum frequency needed to start the electron.

This is what I did.

[tex]\[E = \phi + Ec\][/tex]

Regarding to Einstein's equation of photoelectric effect:

[tex]\[h\nu = h\nu _0 + \frac{1}{2}mv^2 \][/tex]

When I got to this point, I assumed that the electron's velocity would be zero and then:

[tex]\[\nu = \frac{{3.8}}{{6.63\cdot10^{ - 34} }} = 5.73\cdot10^{33}[/tex]
Hertzios

Is everything alright?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No. You have to be more careful with units. You have used the energy in units of eV, and h in units of J-sec. You need to use a consistent set of units - either convert the energy in eV into J, or use h in eV-sec. Try again, and use dimensional analysis to check the units of your answer.

lol, I didn't notice, [tex]\[
1eV = 1.602\cdot10^{ - 19} J
\]
[/tex]

1. What is the minimum frequency needed to start an electron?

The minimum frequency needed to start an electron is determined by its binding energy, which varies depending on the material. It is typically in the range of 2-10 electron volts (eV).

2. How is the minimum frequency calculated?

The minimum frequency can be calculated using the formula f = E/h, where f is the frequency, E is the binding energy, and h is Planck's constant (6.626 x 10^-34 joule seconds).

3. Why is it important to know the minimum frequency to start an electron?

Knowing the minimum frequency is important in understanding the behavior of electrons in different materials. It also helps in designing electronic devices and understanding the principles of quantum mechanics.

4. What happens if the frequency is lower than the minimum required?

If the frequency is lower than the minimum required, the electron will not have enough energy to be freed from its bound state and will remain in its current energy level. This is known as the photoelectric effect, where electrons are only emitted when the frequency of the incident light exceeds the material's minimum frequency.

5. Can the minimum frequency be changed?

The minimum frequency is determined by the properties of the material and cannot be changed. However, the binding energy of the material can be altered, which in turn, affects the minimum frequency needed to start an electron.