Quantum tunneling and the universe

In summary, Alexander Vilenkin's model of cosmic origins suggests that the universe came into being through a quantum tunneling event, but this would require the universe to be closed. However, current evidence suggests that the universe is probably flat with a margin of error of less than 1%. This does not necessarily mean that Vilenkin's model is incorrect, as the rapid expansion of the early universe during inflation could have made any curvature undetectable. The assumption of a closed universe also allows for a net energy of zero, which is necessary for the universe to come from "nothing". However, there is still debate about how this assumption relates to the actual curvature of the universe.
Chalnoth said:
If only they were answered in a coherent manner that made any sense.

What was incoherent about it?

Space news on Phys.org
Rational T said:
What was incoherent about it?
Honestly, it's not worth my time. It doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with the topic at hand anyway, as the topic at hand has nothing whatsoever to do with the quantum nature (or lack thereof) of human consciousness. The question of whether or not observation is required to cause decoherence is a separate question, and I've already posted an observational demonstration of the fact that no conscious observer is required whatsoever.

Chalnoth said:
Honestly, it's not worth my time. It doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with the topic at hand anyway, as the topic at hand has nothing whatsoever to do with the quantum nature (or lack thereof) of human consciousness. The question of whether or not observation is required to cause decoherence is a separate question, and I've already posted an observational demonstration of the fact that no conscious observer is required whatsoever.

"Honestly, it's not worth my time. "

So it is worth your time to call something "nonsense" without foundation, but not worth your time to actually support this assertion sufficiently. How convenient...

"It doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with the topic at hand anyway, as the topic at hand has nothing whatsoever to do with the quantum nature (or lack thereof) of human consciousness."

Fair enough, but it is relevant to quantum tunneling models. Quantum Tunneling relies on a wave-function that must collapse. If self-collapsing wave-functions are conscious experiences, then there are huge problems with quantum tunneling models if this fact is neglected. Basically, quantum tunneling models are trying to show that an Atheistic universe is possible. However, if a self-collapsing wave function if a conscious experience, then the model fails at its task.

"The question of whether or not observation is required to cause decoherence is a separate question, and I've already posted an observational demonstration of the fact that no conscious observer is required whatsoever."

Yes, you did, and I appreciate that. You have been very helpful in this thread and I cannot thank you enough. However, your response only works if Orch-Or is false. Since you do not wish to support this assertion, then I'm not sure how valid your response is.

Chalnoth said:

Either way, I thank you. You have provided many answers that left me with more knowledge than before. So, I do not feel this conversation has been worthless.

Orch-Or, or any quantum conciousness hypothesis for that matter, is not accepted by mainstream neuroscience. At the moment such proposals are little more than speculation with no real evidence to back them up. The time to tentatively accept a hypothesis is after it has met it's burden of proof, not before.