Qubit Math: Partitioning Phi into BetaA and BetaB

• Thread starter Elroy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phi Qubit
In summary, Elroy is teaching himself quantum computing and writing a quantum computer emulator. He is struggling with the math needed to partition Phi into BetaA (real part) and BetaB (imaginary part) and asks for help. After some attempts, Elroy figures out the solution using the Euler relation and implements it successfully. He also mentions the method of using the cartesian coordinates and Pauli matrices to find the values of A and B, which is valid inside the Bloch sphere.
Elroy
Hi All,

I'm gradually teaching myself quantum computing, being an excellent programmer and fair at linear algebra and geometry.

To learn it, I'm writing a quantum computer emulator (complete with graphical representations). I'll share it when I get to some level of completion. The following is a screenshot of one piece of the program:
qubit.jpg

But here's why I'm posting. I'm struggling somewhat with the math needed to partition Phi into BetaA (real part) and BetaB (imaginary part). I'm trying to write a function with input of Theta and Phi (polar coordinates for qubit), and have it output Alpha, BetaA, and BetaB. As we know...
|Alpha|2 + |Beta|2 must = 1
...or, recognizing that Alpha doesn't need an imaginary part, we can simplify to...
Alpha2 + |Beta|2 = 1

...and Alpha is fairly easy to get from Theta. It's...

Temp1 = (Cos(Theta) + 1) / 2
Alpha = Sqrt(Temp1)

...so, since Temp1 is still squared, we can say that...
Temp2 = 1 - Temp1
...and then...
|Beta|2 must = Temp2

However, now that Temp2 part must be partitioned between BetaA (the real part) and BetaB (the imaginary part). That's where I'm a bit stuck. To simplify things further, let's just stick with the first quadrant of the Phi Argand plane (the XY qubit plane). I can easily sort out the signs once I get past the BetaA and BetaB partitioning.

I can get VERY close just treating it as a linear relationship (before sqrt) to Phi, as follows (using Temp2 from above)...

BetaA = Sqrt(Temp2 * (1 - Phi / (PI/2)))
BetaB = Sqrt(Temp2 - BetaA2)

In fact, this works perfectly when Phi=0, Phi=PI/4, and Phi=PI/2.

However, it's not quite right when Phi isn't on a multiple of 45 degrees.

Some help with this BetaA and BetaB partitioning of Phi would be much appreciated.
Also, if anything isn't clear, please don't hesitate to ask, and I'll attempt to be more clear.

Regards,
Elroy

p.s. Just FYI, being the old curmudgeon that I am, this certainly isn't homework. With my PhD, I've been to school quite enough. :p

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm, well, I think I figured it out on my own.

I was just missing the Euler relation...

e = cos(φ) + i⋅sin(φ)

...which leads to...

β = cos(φ)sin(θ/2) + i⋅sin(φ)sin(θ/2)

...and also recognizing that, from my prior post...

sin(θ/2)2 = Temp2

Therefore, cos(φ) and sin(φ) would seem to provide the partitioning I'm looking for. I've yet to try it but I have high hopes. My eyelids are heavy so it'll be tomorrow before I actually code it up.

The easiest way to find ##\beta = A+iB## is to use the cartesian coordinates of your vector and the Pauli matrices.
You have ##\rho = ( \alpha |0> + \beta |1>)(\overline \alpha <0| + \overline \beta <1|) = (Id + x \sigma_x + y\sigma_y + z\sigma_z )/2##
so ##\alpha^2 = (1+z)/2##
and ##\alpha \beta = A + iB = (x + iy)2##

This method is also valid inside the Bloch sphere.
the center of the sphere gives you the equiprobable mixture (|0><0| + |1><1|)2

Thanks Naima,

I've implemented the β = cos(φ)sin(θ/2) + i⋅sin(φ)sin(θ/2) method and it seems to be working perfectly:
BetaA = cos(φ)sin(θ/2)
BetaB = sin(φ)sin(θ/2)

However, it's good to know how to handle qubits that might happen to be in mixed states.

Regards,
Elroy

1. What is a qubit?

A qubit is a unit of quantum information, similar to a classical bit in a classical computer. However, unlike a classical bit, which can only exist in a state of 0 or 1, a qubit can exist in a superposition of both states simultaneously.

2. What is Phi in qubit math?

Phi, or Φ, is a commonly used symbol in qubit math to represent the quantum state of a qubit. It is a complex number with a real component and an imaginary component, and can be described using the Dirac notation as |Φ⟩.

3. How is Phi partitioned into BetaA and BetaB?

In qubit math, Phi can be partitioned into two components, BetaA and BetaB, using a process called quantum state tomography. This involves performing measurements on the qubit in different bases, such as the X, Y, and Z bases, to determine the probabilities of the qubit being in the 0 or 1 state. These probabilities are then used to calculate the values of BetaA and BetaB.

4. What is the significance of partitioning Phi in qubit math?

Partitioning Phi into BetaA and BetaB allows us to fully characterize the state of a qubit and understand its quantum properties. This is crucial for performing quantum operations and calculations using qubits, as well as for developing new quantum technologies.

5. How is qubit math used in practical applications?

Qubit math is the foundation of quantum computing, which has the potential to revolutionize industries such as finance, healthcare, and cryptography. It is also used in other areas of quantum information science, such as quantum communication and quantum sensing, to harness the power of quantum mechanics for practical purposes.