Connecting 14 gauge and 16 gauge wire to 120,000 BTU furnace

  • Thread starter Thread starter SeeJay
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Btu Wiring
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
SeeJay
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I am wiring a new 120,000 BTU furnace. The old furnace I wired with 14 gauge wire going from fused switch to the inside of the furnace wired to the furnace panel.
This new furnace has 16 gauge wire going from the inside furnace panel to an electric box on the side on the inside of the furnace (opposite side of fused switch).. My question is, I have 14 ga going to a 10 amp fused switch wired on the outside of furnace. The way it looks I am suppose to wire the 16 ga wire to the fused switch, is this right? I never have used 16 ga and 14 ga together. It just doesn't seem right.. I am sure this is a stupid question but before hooking it up I just wan't to check to see if this is correct. I attached a copy of a link to the the manual. The wiring diagram for the furnace is on page 48.
https://www.alpinehomeair.com/_viewresource.cfm?ID=5082
Thank you in advance for your time.
Seejay.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
SeeJay said:
I am wiring a new 120,000 BTU furnace. The old furnace I wired with 14 gauge wire going from fused switch to the inside of the furnace wired to the furnace panel.
This new furnace has 16 gauge wire going from the inside furnace panel to an electric box on the side on the inside of the furnace (opposite side of fused switch).. My question is, I have 14 ga going to a 10 amp fused switch wired on the outside of furnace. The way it looks I am suppose to wire the 16 ga wire to the fused switch, is this right? I never have used 16 ga and 14 ga together. It just doesn't seem right.. I am sure this is a stupid question but before hooking it up I just wan't to check to see if this is correct. I attached a copy of a link to the the manual. The wiring diagram for the furnace is on page 48.
https://www.alpinehomeair.com/_viewresource.cfm?ID=5082
Thank you in advance for your time.
Seejay.
Thread closed temporarily.

Please send me a copy of the Building Permit that you have for this project via PM, along with your qualifications (electrician license info, etc.). Then we can re-open the thread.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bystander