Question about 2-D convolution

• Thread starter kakolukia786
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convolution
In summary: Your Name]In summary, for 2 non-equal data sets, the process of padding for 2-D periodic convolution involves adding zeros to both data sets to make them equal in size while maintaining their periodicity. In the given example, G can be padded with zeros to make it a 4x4 matrix, ensuring accurate calculation of the periodic convolution.
kakolukia786
Hi, I have been given two data set F = [1 0 0 1; 2 1 0 1; 1 2 1 0; 0 1 0 2] and G = [1 0; 1 2], here separated by (;) means they are different rows. I have been asked to compute the 2-D periodic convolution.
2. Homework Equations

I know how to calculate the 2-D periodic convolution for 2 equal size data set (one from the DFT convolution theorem and the other method is to inverse one of the function and slide it from the left it to the right and top to bottom over the next function and calculate the values (my teacher taught this way, it is easier).

The Attempt at a Solution

For 2 non equal data set, I know I have to pad it with zero, but I couldn't figure it out HOW ? I know how to pad for 1-D convolution, we just put zeros behind data set to make it of equal size to the other one. How do I pad in the case of 2-D, in this case G, Do I just fill in zeros like [1 0 0 0; 1 2 0 0; 0 0 0 0; 0 0 0 0] ? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
[/b]

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. The process of padding for 2-D periodic convolution is similar to that of 1-D convolution. In this case, you would need to pad both data sets with zeros to make them equal in size. For example, in the case of G, you would pad it with zeros to make it a 4x4 matrix, similar to F.

The padding should be done in a way that maintains the periodicity of the data sets. This means that when you slide one data set over the other, the edges should match up. In your example, you could pad G with zeros in the following way:

[1 0 0 0; 1 2 0 0; 0 0 0 0; 0 0 0 0]

This would ensure that when you slide G over F, the edges will match up and the periodic convolution can be calculated accurately.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. What is 2-D convolution?

2-D convolution is a mathematical operation used in signal processing and image processing. It involves multiplying two functions, one of which is usually a small kernel or filter, and then integrating the product over the domain of the other function.

2. What are the applications of 2-D convolution?

2-D convolution is commonly used in image processing for tasks such as blurring, edge detection, and feature extraction. It is also used in signal processing for tasks such as noise reduction and frequency analysis.

3. How does 2-D convolution work?

In 2-D convolution, the kernel is slid over the input image or signal, and at each position, the overlapping values are multiplied and then summed to produce a single output value. This process is repeated for every position in the input, resulting in an output image or signal.

4. What is the difference between 2-D convolution and 1-D convolution?

The main difference between 2-D and 1-D convolution is the dimensionality of the data being processed. 2-D convolution is used for processing images, which have two dimensions (height and width), while 1-D convolution is used for processing signals, which have one dimension (time).

5. How is 2-D convolution implemented in computer programs?

2-D convolution is commonly implemented in computer programs using convolutional filters or kernels, which are matrices of numerical values. These filters are multiplied with the input data using matrix multiplication, and the resulting values are summed to produce the output data.