1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about a 'basic' equivalent resistive circuit problem

1. Aug 3, 2011 #1
    Hello all, I'm a new member. I've decided banging my forehead until its red will not make me any more able to solve my practice problems. I hope I haven't posted this in the wrong forum but here is the question in concern:

Select R in the circuit so that VL= 5 V

(see circuit in attachment below)

Hopefully you will be able to read this, I wrote it in OneNote- here is my attempt at a solution:

Attached Files:

• 2.29.pdf
      2.29.pdf
      File size:
      223.1 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

I would try using the KCL on the original circuit. I usually find that KCL works best for me, and is more intuitive than using source transformations, etc.

Can you give the KCL approach a try?

4. Aug 3, 2011 #3
    ay carumba, sorry for not posting the units in that last KVL expression... should've read something like:

-50/(7+R) V + (17 + 3R)/(7 + R)kOhm * ImA + 5 V = 0

5. Aug 3, 2011 #4
    absolutely!, I appreciate the suggestion. I'll post back my results

6. Aug 3, 2011 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

If you take another look at your second diagram (after the first source transformation) you might notice that there is a clear example of a simple voltage divider. The 1K resistor will not affect the output voltage, as no current will flow through it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=37756&stc=1&d=1312428494.gif

25V source -- voltage divider -- 5V out. Should be able to solve for R with little pain :smile:

Attached Files:

7. Aug 4, 2011 #6
    wow thanks a bunch gneil, I assumed that those open nodes were there to represent some device or external circuit that absorbs 5V and could be even represented by a voltage source of 5V. Thanks a lot, I'd literally been racking my brains over the last day and a half on this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook