What are the implications of Thevenin equivalent circuits on circuit behavior?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Mjmuk
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
Circuit.png
Hiya, this is my first time posting so apologies for any errors in formatting. :oldsmile:
I am confused as to whether when Thevenising a portion of a circuit is it to simplify BUT provide the same output characteristics, meaning the workings of the Thevenin part of the circuit may behave completely differently to the original circuit?

I have an example which may explain this better (hopefully it attached, if not here's a link http://imgur.com/VGa0TI5 ) by Thevenising the left hand side initially I assumed it would make the question easier but the answers turn out to be different when concerning the resistor in particular, is this because the Inductor 'sees' the same characteristics as before but the resistor behaves differently?

Many Thanks
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mjmuk said:
Hiya, this is my first time posting so apologies for any errors in formatting. :oldsmile:
I am confused as to whether when Thevenising a portion of a circuit is it to simplify BUT provide the same output characteristics, meaning the workings of the Thevenin part of the circuit may behave completely differently to the original circuit?
If the "Thevenin equivalent" is not exactly equivalent as far as the rest of the circuit is concerned, then it is not equivalent, so not a Thevenin equivalent. How it works internally is irrelevant as long as the rest of the circuit can't tell the difference.

As far as I am aware, Thevenin equivalents are for resistive circuits, not reactive circuits.
 
There were 3 files attached. They seemed to be identical so I have deleted two.
 
phinds said:
As far as I am aware, Thevenin equivalents are for resistive circuits, not reactive circuits.
I believe Thevenin equivalents are also for reactive circuits.(e.g. In case of ac circuits, maximum power is transferred to the load if the load impedance is complex conjugate of the Thevenin impedance viewed from the load terminals.)
The circuit shown in the OP can be reduced to its Thevenin equivalent.
 
cnh1995 said:
I believe Thevenin equivalents are also for reactive circuits.(e.g. In case of ac circuits, maximum power is transferred to the load if the load impedance is complex conjugate of the Thevenin impedance viewed from the load terminals.)
The circuit shown in the OP can be reduced to its Thevenin equivalent.
OK, it's been a very long time since I took EE and if I ever knew that I had forgotten it. Thanks.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: cnh1995
The Norton source can be replaced by its Thevenin equivalent. A source transformation will do. To find the time constant, effective R and L need to be in series.