Question About A Simple Formula

• Thread starter getfirefox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the question is asking for an explanation of how the unit for work (kg.m^2.s^-2) can be derived using the equations for acceleration, force, and work done. By substituting the equation for force (mass x acceleration) into the equation for work done (force x distance) and using the equation for acceleration (change in velocity / time), it can be shown that the unit for work done is equivalent to mass x velocity x velocity, which is kg.m^2.s^-2.
getfirefox

Homework Statement

Since velocity = distance / time, the units of velocity are metres / seconds or ms-1. Use the equations (below) to show that the unit of work done can be written as kg.m2.s-2.

acceleration = change in velocity / time
force = mass X acceleration
work done = force X distance

Homework Equations

None needed.

The Attempt at a Solution

Can anyone please explain to me what this question is asking me to do and how I might go about showing this?

Thanks guys for your help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
getfirefox said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

None needed.

The Attempt at a Solution

Can anyone please explain to me what this question is asking me to do and how I might go about showing this?

Thanks guys for your help.

It's only a question about the "kind" of units.

Just show through substitution how the units for expressing work are
Mass*distance*distance over time*time

Sure, I would be happy to explain this question to you. The question is asking you to show that the unit of work done, which is joules (J), can be written as a combination of the base units of kilograms (kg), meters (m), and seconds (s). This can be done by using the equations provided.

First, we know that acceleration is equal to the change in velocity divided by time. In terms of units, this can be written as m/s^2 (meters per second squared).

Next, we know that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration. In terms of units, this can be written as kg*m/s^2 (kilograms times meters per second squared).

Finally, we know that work done is equal to force multiplied by distance. In terms of units, this can be written as kg*m/s^2 * m (kilograms times meters per second squared times meters). Simplifying this, we get kg*m^2/s^2 (kilograms times meters squared per second squared).

This is the same as the unit for work done, which is joules (J), so we have shown that the unit of work done can be written as kg.m2.s-2. This is a simple way to show the relationship between the units of velocity and work done. I hope this helps!

1. What is a simple formula and how is it used in science?

A simple formula is an equation or mathematical expression that is used to represent a relationship between different variables. In science, it is used to describe physical phenomena, make predictions, and analyze data.

2. Can a simple formula be applied to different fields of science?

Yes, a simple formula can be applied to various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, biology, and more. It is a fundamental tool in scientific research and can be used to explain and understand complex systems and processes.

3. How is a simple formula different from a complex formula?

A simple formula typically involves a smaller number of variables and is easier to understand and apply compared to a complex formula. It is also often used to approximate a relationship between variables, while a complex formula is used to precisely describe a relationship.

4. What are some examples of simple formulas used in science?

Some common examples of simple formulas used in science include Newton's second law of motion (F = ma), Boyle's law (PV = k), and the ideal gas law (PV = nRT). These formulas describe relationships between physical quantities and are used in various scientific fields.

5. Can a simple formula be modified or improved over time?

Yes, a simple formula can be modified or improved over time as new evidence and data become available. Scientists constantly review and refine existing formulas to better reflect our understanding of the natural world. This process leads to the development of more accurate and precise formulas.