Question about Current and Resistance

In summary, the definition of current is the amount of charge flowing through a unit area per unit time, which does not depend on the presence of resistance. However, a potential difference can still exist with a current without resistance if there is inductance or capacitance present. For superconductivity or a spontaneous current, there may not be a potential difference. Additionally, a battery made of superconductive material can still have a potential difference between its terminals, depending on the context of the question.
BuddyGoodness
I am curious. Is there any current in a circuit without a resistor? I would think there was but I cannot find anything that answers this question. I don't really see how a resistor is needed to create current (ohms law notwithstanding). Could someone explain this for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
there's no loss of electron energy without resistance. eg super conductivity is current w/o loss (no resistance).

when electrons move from one place to another there is current. ( or atleast i think that's how it works, free electrons moving from one place to another) so if you had a bunch of electrons moving through empty space that would be current without resistance. you don't need all three in v=ir... you could have a voltage but do nothing wit it.. and therefore have no current.

BuddyGoodness said:
I am curious. Is there any current in a circuit without a resistor? I would think there was but I cannot find anything that answers this question. I don't really see how a resistor is needed to create current (ohms law notwithstanding). Could someone explain this for me?

You already have two responses that should answer your question. However, you need to think a bit more on what is meant by "current", i.e. the definition of it. In the simplest term, it is the amount of charge flowing through a unit area per unit time. That's it!

It says nothing about "resistance" in that definition, even though the presence of resistance can affect the rate of flow. However, without knowing if a resistance is presence or not, the "measurer" of that current only cares about the amount of charge flow and nothing else. That does not depend on the presence of any resistance.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You already have two responses that should answer your question. However, you need to think a bit more on what is meant by "current", i.e. the definition of it. In the simplest term, it is the amount of charge flowing through a unit area per unit time. That's it!

It says nothing about "resistance" in that definition, even though the presence of resistance can affect the rate of flow. However, without knowing if a resistance is presence or not, the "measurer" of that current only cares about the amount of charge flow and nothing else. That does not depend on the presence of any resistance.

Zz.

Interesting! The natural follow up question is... Suppose then that I have a current with no resistance. Can there be a potential difference?

Cantab Morgan said:
Interesting! The natural follow up question is... Suppose then that I have a current with no resistance. Can there be a potential difference?

Sure, there can still be an inductance or capacitance. The resulting reactance will support a voltage. Classically, if there is no reactance or resistance, then I do not think that there can be any voltage. For example, the boundary conditions on a perfect electrical conductor (zero resistance) require that the tangential electric fields be zero on the surface. That means that the voltage, the spatial integral of the electric fields, will be zero.

Cantab Morgan said:

Depends on what TYPE of current. The ordinary current, usually yes, because it is the potential difference that drives the current. For superconductivity/supercurrent, NO. You can have a spontaneous current (example: josephson current) even at no potential bias.

Zz.

Cantab Morgan said:

a battery that is super conductive between terminals.

whats the context of the question?

Related to Question about Current and Resistance

1. What is electrical current?

Electrical current is the flow of electric charge through a conducting material, such as a wire. It is measured in amperes (A) and is often symbolized by the letter "I".

2. How is current related to voltage?

Ohm's law states that current is directly proportional to voltage and inversely proportional to resistance. This means that as voltage increases, current increases, and as resistance increases, current decreases.

3. What is resistance and how is it measured?

Resistance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of electrical current. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is often symbolized by the letter "R". Resistance can be measured using a multimeter.

4. What factors affect resistance?

The three main factors that affect resistance are the material of the conductor, its length, and its cross-sectional area. Materials with high resistance, longer conductors, and smaller cross-sectional areas will have higher resistance.

5. Why do some materials conduct electricity better than others?

Materials that have loosely bound electrons in their atomic structure tend to be better conductors of electricity. This is because the electrons are able to move more freely, allowing for better flow of electrical current. Examples of good conductors include metals like copper, silver, and gold.