Question about Electric Potential

In summary, To calculate the potential at point P, you will need to divide the rod into small segments and calculate the charge and potential at each segment. Then, you can integrate these values to find the overall potential at P. This method assumes that the rod has uniform charge density and that P is located 10 cm from the end of the rod.
scissors
How do I calculate the potential at the point P? Assuming the rod is charged with 8 micro Coloumbs? I'm looking at equations, Kq/r, and I think there is some integrating involved, but I'm stumped. Here is a diagram...any help is greatly appreciated!

|
|
|
| 10 cm....35 cm
P - - - - ====================
|
|
|
|
|
|

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I guess the double line refers to the rod (which is 35 cm long?), and P is 10cm from the end of the rod.

Divide your rod into little segments of length dx. Assume the rod has uniform charge density and write down the charge on this element. Treat each element as a point charge, at distance x from P and write down the potential due to this point charge at P. Now integrate this between the values of x that the rod occupies.

Thanks very much! I was able to get the answer by integrating dr/r from (.10 to .45), and multiplying by lamda (Q/.45) times k.

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the electrical potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. It is often referred to as voltage and is measured in volts.

How is electric potential different from electric field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the potential energy of a charge at a specific point, while electric field is a vector quantity that describes the force a charge would experience at that point. In other words, electric potential describes the potential for a charge to move in an electric field, while electric field describes the actual movement of the charge.

What is the formula for electric potential?

The formula for electric potential is V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the magnitude of the charge, and r is the distance from the charge. This formula assumes a point charge and is used to calculate the electric potential at a specific point in an electric field.

How is electric potential measured?

Electric potential is measured using a voltmeter, which measures the potential difference between two points in an electric field. The unit of measurement for electric potential is volts (V).

What is the relationship between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the potential energy that a charge possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is directly proportional to electric potential, meaning that as electric potential increases, so does the electric potential energy of a charge. The relationship between electric potential and electric potential energy is given by the formula PE = qV, where PE is the electric potential energy, q is the charge, and V is the electric potential.