Calculate Acceleration Due to Gravity on Moon - 65 Characters

• Thread starter pointintime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the acceleration due to gravity on the Moon using the mass of the Moon and the object. The concept of net force and its application in inclined planes is also brought up, with the clarification that net force only considers the forces acting on a specific mass. The conversation also mentions Newton's gravitational law and how it is applied in this problem.
pointintime
ok I'll be using a home work problem to ask the question. I'm not asking for help on the question I got the correct answer just need to understand this concept better.

Calculate the acceelration due to gravity on the Moon. The moon's radius is about 1.74 E 6 meters and its mass is 7.35 E 22 kg. For this problem I'll be using m2 as the mass which the moon is orbiting

Ok then...

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F [in radial direction acting on m2] = (m2 a [radial direction] = Fg = r^-2 G m m2)m2^-1

divide both sides by m2

a [radial direction] = r^-2 G m

I rember in like inclined planes and such when two forces equal and opposite each other are present you can just cancel them out...

so how is there any net force?
how come like in inclined planes when I find the net force i don't include both masses...

Net force = (net mass) a

I don't use net mass in this problem because of why?

Why do I just use m2 and not m1 + m2

net force = (m1 + m2) a
?

Physics news on Phys.org
pointintime said:
I rember in like inclined planes and such when two forces equal and opposite each other are present you can just cancel them out...

so how is there any net force?
If I understand what you are asking, it depends on whether the two forces are acting on the same mass or on different masses.

If two equal-and-opposite forces act on the same mass, you may cancel them ... we say that the net force acting on that mass is zero.

However, when the two forces are acting on different masses, they do not cancel. Each mass experiences a net force, due to the one force acting on it. This is the case with the mass and the moon in your calculation.

how come like in inclined planes when I find the net force i don't include both masses...

Net force = (net mass) a

I don't use net mass in this problem because of why?

The equation, Fnet = ma, refers to the net (vector sum) of only the forces that act on the mass m. Any other masses, or forces acting on masses other than m, are irrelevant here.

Newton's gravitational law: Force = G m_moon m_object / r_moon ^2

You just pull the mass of the object out of the expression, and put it to the side:
Force = [ G m_moon / r_moon ^2 ] m_object

acceleration of object = F / m_object = the stuff in the brackets

Related to Calculate Acceleration Due to Gravity on Moon - 65 Characters

1. How do you calculate acceleration due to gravity on the moon?

To calculate the acceleration due to gravity on the moon, you can use the formula: g = GM/r^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the moon, and r is the distance between the object and the center of the moon.

2. What is the value of acceleration due to gravity on the moon?

The acceleration due to gravity on the moon is approximately 1.62 m/s^2. This is about 1/6th of the value of acceleration due to gravity on Earth.

3. How is the acceleration due to gravity on the moon different from Earth?

The acceleration due to gravity on the moon is significantly lower than on Earth. This is due to the moon having a much smaller mass and radius compared to Earth.

4. Can you calculate the acceleration due to gravity on the moon using the mass and radius of the Earth?

No, the mass and radius of the Earth cannot be used to calculate the acceleration due to gravity on the moon. This is because the moon and Earth have different masses and radii, resulting in different values for the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does the acceleration due to gravity on the moon affect objects?

The lower acceleration due to gravity on the moon means that objects will fall more slowly and have a lighter weight compared to on Earth. This can also affect the trajectory and speed of objects in motion on the moon.