What Are the Differences in Heat Transfer Analysis Using FEA and CFD Software?

In summary, the difference between using finite element analysis software like ANSYS, ALGOR, and NASTRAN, and using computational fluid dynamics software like FLUENT is mainly in their focus and capabilities. While both use the finite element method, FLUENT specializes in thermo fluids and cannot perform internal stress analysis like the other packages. The choice between the two would depend on the scenario and desired results, and some companies may use both for different aspects of heat transfer analysis.
optics.tech
Hi everyone,

I just want to know what is the difference if we analyze a heat transfer using finite element analysis software such as ANSYS, ALGOR, NASTRAN, etc., and using computational fluid dynamics software such as FLUENT, etc.?

That’s all

Thanks in advance

Huygen

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not fluent with FLUENT (ha ha) but they are all based on the finite element method. Some solvers and mesh engines may be better than others however, you probably won't be too terribly different between them. Our company uses both for ANSYS and FLUENT for heat transfer calcs. I guess it would depend on the media and the scenario being looked at.

Not to confuse you to much but FLUENT is a part of ANSYS now. FLUENT specializes in the thermo fluids aspect such as heat exchange between fluid/solid, pressure drop, mixing, combustion, cavitation, etc. What you cannot do in FLUENT is internal stress analysis. It also uses finite volume method and not finite element I believe.
Some of the other packages are more specialized in calculating structural stresses in solids.

My initial reaction would be the boundary conditions. As Fred said, they are based upon the same principles, but the heat equation is completely an elliptic PDE, whereas the N-S equations are typically hyperbolic. Due to this, the solvers are allowed to be written differently. Boundary condition specification is different based on the characteristics of the equations.

Here at work, if we have a flow that we need to know thermal properties (heat rate out, etc), we will typically iterate between CFX and ANSYS to get the best possible result.

1. What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object to another due to a difference in temperature. It can occur through three mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation.

2. What is conduction?

Conduction is the transfer of heat through a solid or stationary medium. It occurs when there is a difference in temperature between two objects in contact with each other, causing the transfer of thermal energy from the warmer object to the cooler one.

3. What is convection?

Convection is the transfer of heat through a fluid or gas. It occurs when warmer particles in the fluid or gas rise and are replaced by cooler particles, creating a continuous cycle of heat transfer.

4. What is radiation?

Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves. Unlike conduction and convection, it does not require a medium and can occur through empty space. Examples of radiation include the heat from the sun and heat emitted by a fireplace.

5. How does heat transfer affect our daily lives?

Heat transfer is essential for many everyday activities such as cooking, heating and cooling our homes, and even our own bodies regulating our temperature. Understanding heat transfer can also help us develop more efficient energy systems and technologies.