Question about mathematical equality

In summary: Integrating by parts is a way of transforming a divergence into a surface integral. This equation is valid for any vector field that is independent of the direction of the vector field.
Mr. Rho
Hi there, I am reading Chapter 9 of Jackson Classic Electrodynamics 3rd edition, and I don't see why this equality is true, it says "integrating by parts", but I still don't know... any help?

http://imageshack.com/a/img673/9201/4WYcXs.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Write [itex] \mathbf J [/itex] as the sum of its Cartesian components and then write the integral as the sum of three integrals of the three Cartesian components. Then integrate by parts each integral, but the [itex] J_x [/itex] w.r.t. to x and so on! If you consider the integrals to be from [itex] -\infty [/itex] to [itex] \infty [/itex] and take [itex] \mathbf J [/itex] to be zero at infinities, you'll get what you want.

That equality depends on div J=0 (or d\rho/dt=0).

Just my derivation. For an arbitrary constant vector ##\vec{n}## we have
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot [(\vec{n} \cdot \vec{x}) \vec{j}]=(\vec{n} \cdot \vec{x}) \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{j} + \vec{n} \cdot \vec{j}.$$
Now integrate this over the whole space and assume that ##\vec{j}## goes to 0 quickly enough at infinity (or most realistically that it has compact support). Then the left-hand side vanishes, because it's a divergence, and thus can be transformed to a surface integral, which vanishes at infinity, if ##\vec{j}## vanishes quickly enough. This implies
$$\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} \; \vec{n} \cdot \vec{j} = -\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} \; (\vec{n} \cdot \vec{x} ) \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{j}.$$
Now use for ##\vec{n}## the three basis vectors of a cartesian reference frame, and you see that the vector equation stated by Jackson holds.

It's independent of whether ##\vec{j}## is a solenoidal field or not. Of course in the case of stationary currents it must be one, but the integral identity is generally valid.

Sorry about that. I was thinking cases where j appears with other variables.

Related to Question about mathematical equality

1) What is mathematical equality?

Mathematical equality is a concept that refers to the idea that two quantities or expressions have the same value. In other words, they are equal to each other.

2) How is mathematical equality different from mathematical equivalence?

Mathematical equality and equivalence are often used interchangeably, but they are not exactly the same. Equality refers to two things having the same value, while equivalence refers to two things having the same meaning or function.

3) What are the symbols used to represent mathematical equality?

The most common symbol used to represent mathematical equality is the equal sign (=). Other symbols that can be used include the triple bar (≡), the tilde with equals sign (≅), and the approximately equal to sign (≈).

4) Can mathematical equality be applied to complex numbers?

Yes, mathematical equality can be applied to complex numbers. In complex numbers, equality means that both the real and imaginary parts of two numbers are equal to each other.

5) What are the rules for solving equations using mathematical equality?

The basic rule for solving equations using mathematical equality is that whatever operation is performed on one side of the equation must also be performed on the other side. For example, if you add 5 to one side of an equation, you must also add 5 to the other side to maintain equality.