Question about mathematical equality

Hi there, im reading Chapter 9 of Jackson Classic Electrodynamics 3rd edition, and I don't see why this equality is true, it says "integrating by parts", but I still don't know... any help?

http://imageshack.com/a/img673/9201/4WYcXs.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Write [itex] \mathbf J [/itex] as the sum of its Cartesian components and then write the integral as the sum of three integrals of the three Cartesian components. Then integrate by parts each integral, but the [itex] J_x [/itex] w.r.t. to x and so on! If you consider the integrals to be from [itex] -\infty [/itex] to [itex] \infty [/itex] and take [itex] \mathbf J [/itex] to be zero at infinities, you'll get what you want.

Meir Achuz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
That equality depends on div J=0 (or d\rho/dt=0).

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Just my derivation. For an arbitrary constant vector ##\vec{n}## we have
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot [(\vec{n} \cdot \vec{x}) \vec{j}]=(\vec{n} \cdot \vec{x}) \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{j} + \vec{n} \cdot \vec{j}.$$
Now integrate this over the whole space and assume that ##\vec{j}## goes to 0 quickly enough at infinity (or most realistically that it has compact support). Then the left-hand side vanishes, because it's a divergence, and thus can be transformed to a surface integral, which vanishes at infinity, if ##\vec{j}## vanishes quickly enough. This implies
$$\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} \; \vec{n} \cdot \vec{j} = -\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} \; (\vec{n} \cdot \vec{x} ) \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{j}.$$
Now use for ##\vec{n}## the three basis vectors of a cartesian reference frame, and you see that the vector equation stated by Jackson holds.

It's independent of whether ##\vec{j}## is a solenoidal field or not. Of course in the case of stationary currents it must be one, but the integral identity is generally valid.

Meir Achuz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Sorry about that. I was thinking cases where j appears with other variables.