1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about molecular structure (chemistry related)

1. Aug 28, 2004 #1

My professor wants the class to put some different chemical formulas in molecular structure while following the HONC Rule. He gave us six different chemical forumals to convert and I have finished five of them correctly; however, there is still one giving me trouble. Here is the given formula: [tex]C^{4}H^{13}NO^{3}[/tex]

Now, I've worked on this problem for about 30 minutes tonight. And every way I work it out I end up using 12 hydrogens, not 13. I'm beginning to think this is one of those formulas that cannot be put into molecular forum.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I cannot get the LaTeX to come out looking right. So I hope y'all understand that its just 4 Carbons, 13 Hydrogens, 1 Nitrogen, and 3 Oxygens. Sorry for the inconvienence.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think about "poly-alcohols" (glycerin, glycol, etc.) --- then add other functional groups; or, ignore the oxygens (you can always insert them into C-H bonds), and work on the C-H-N possibilities. There are compounds with this stoichiometry --- and, they do obey the rules.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?