Question about molecular structure (chemistry related)

In summary, the conversation is about converting chemical formulas to molecular structures while following the HONC Rule. The speaker has successfully converted five out of six given formulas, but is having trouble with the formula C^{4}H^{13}NO^{3}. They have spent 30 minutes trying to solve it and have noticed that they keep ending up with 12 hydrogens instead of 13. They are wondering if this formula is an exception and looking for help. They also mention the possibility of poly-alcohols and ignoring the oxygens in order to find the correct C-H-N possibilities.
Cod
My professor wants the class to put some different chemical formulas in molecular structure while following the HONC Rule. He gave us six different chemical forumals to convert and I have finished five of them correctly; however, there is still one giving me trouble. Here is the given formula: [tex]C^{4}H^{13}NO^{3}[/tex]

Now, I've worked on this problem for about 30 minutes tonight. And every way I work it out I end up using 12 hydrogens, not 13. I'm beginning to think this is one of those formulas that cannot be put into molecular forum.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I cannot get the LaTeX to come out looking right. So I hope y'all understand that its just 4 Carbons, 13 Hydrogens, 1 Nitrogen, and 3 Oxygens. Sorry for the inconvienence.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about "poly-alcohols" (glycerin, glycol, etc.) --- then add other functional groups; or, ignore the oxygens (you can always insert them into C-H bonds), and work on the C-H-N possibilities. There are compounds with this stoichiometry --- and, they do obey the rules.

Hi there, it sounds like you have put in a lot of effort to try and solve this problem. First of all, great job on successfully converting five out of the six chemical formulas using the HONC rule. It shows that you have a good understanding of molecular structures and chemical formulas.

Now, for the formula that is giving you trouble (C^{4}H^{13}NO^{3}), it is possible that there may be a typo in the formula itself. As you mentioned, you have tried various methods and still end up with 12 hydrogens instead of 13. This could indicate that the formula may not be correct or it may be a more complex molecule that requires a different approach to determine the correct molecular structure.

In any case, I would suggest bringing this issue to your professor's attention. They may be able to provide some clarification on the formula or give you some guidance on how to approach it. It's always better to seek help and clarification rather than spending too much time trying to solve a problem that may not have a solution.

Overall, don't get discouraged by this one formula. You have successfully completed the majority of the assignment, which is a great accomplishment. Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to ask for help when needed. Best of luck!

1. What is molecular structure?

Molecular structure refers to the arrangement and organization of atoms within a molecule. This includes the type and number of atoms, as well as the bonds between them.

2. What factors influence molecular structure?

The most important factors that influence molecular structure include the number and type of atoms present, the types of bonds between them, and the presence of any lone pairs of electrons. Other factors that may also play a role include electronegativity, molecular symmetry, and intermolecular forces.

3. How is molecular structure determined?

Molecular structure can be determined through various techniques such as X-ray crystallography, nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, and infrared (IR) spectroscopy. These techniques allow scientists to visualize and analyze the arrangement of atoms within a molecule.

4. Why is molecular structure important?

Molecular structure is important because it affects the physical and chemical properties of a substance. For example, the shape of a molecule can determine its polarity, which in turn affects its solubility and reactivity. Molecular structure also plays a crucial role in determining the biological activity of molecules in living organisms.

5. Can molecular structure change?

Yes, molecular structure can change through chemical reactions. During a chemical reaction, bonds between atoms may be broken and new ones may form, resulting in a different molecular structure. Changes in external conditions, such as temperature and pressure, can also affect molecular structure.