Question about monotonic sequences.

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequences
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a monotonic sequence and whether a constant sequence is considered monotonic. The speaker also questions whether every bounded sequence has a monotonic sub sequence and suggests using the Bolzano Weierstrass theorem to prove this.
cragar

Homework Statement

If I have a constant sequence a,a,a,a,a,a, Is that monotonic?
because I have conflicting definitions some say that it has to increase or decrease,
but some say it just has to not increase or not decrease.
And also does every bounded sequence have monotonic sub sequence.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that every bounded sequence has a monotonic sub sequence. Because I would eventually have to have an infinite amount of points that were the same or an infinite amount that were increasing or decreasing.

Physics news on Phys.org
cragar said:

Homework Statement

If I have a constant sequence a,a,a,a,a,a, Is that monotonic?
because I have conflicting definitions some say that it has to increase or decrease,
but some say it just has to not increase or not decrease.
And also does every bounded sequence have monotonic sub sequence.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that every bounded sequence has a monotonic sub sequence. Because I would eventually have to have an infinite amount of points that were the same or an infinite amount that were increasing or decreasing.

I think most texts allow equality in the definition of monotone sequence and call the sequence "strictly monotone" for the case where strict inequality is used in the definition.

About your last question, I think so too, but can you prove it? Do you know the Bolzano Weierstrass theorem? It might help you construct an argument.

FAQ: Question about monotonic sequences.

What is a monotonic sequence?

A monotonic sequence is a sequence of numbers that either increases (monotone increasing) or decreases (monotone decreasing) without any fluctuations. In other words, the terms in the sequence follow a specific pattern and do not alternate between increasing and decreasing.

How do you determine if a sequence is monotonic?

To determine if a sequence is monotonic, you can plot the terms on a graph and observe if the sequence is always increasing or always decreasing. Alternatively, you can compare each term in the sequence to the previous term and see if they are always increasing or decreasing.

What is the difference between a monotone increasing and a monotone decreasing sequence?

A monotone increasing sequence is one where the terms are always increasing, while a monotone decreasing sequence is one where the terms are always decreasing. In other words, for a monotone increasing sequence, each term is larger than the previous term, while for a monotone decreasing sequence, each term is smaller than the previous term.

Can a sequence be both monotone increasing and monotone decreasing?

No, a sequence cannot be both monotone increasing and monotone decreasing. This is because the terms in a monotonic sequence follow a specific pattern and cannot alternate between increasing and decreasing.

How are monotonic sequences used in mathematics?

Monotonic sequences are used in various mathematical concepts and applications, such as limits, continuity, and convergence. They are also important in understanding the behavior and trends of mathematical functions.