Question about nuclear cross sections

In summary, the total cross section for the neutron beam hitting a copper target and causing two reactions, Co-59(n,p)Co60metastable (cross section=19barn) and Co-59(n,p)Co60ground (cs=18barn), is 37 barn. This is because the cross sections represent the probabilities of obtaining a metastable or ground state Co60 nucleus, and these events are mutually exclusive. While the cross sections have been split into 18 and 19 barn, the total surface area of the Co59 nucleus is 37 barn. This picture helps to understand the concept of cross sections as normalized probabilities.
coregis
This is a small part of a homework problem in which I need to calculate neutron flux. I have the neutron beam hitting a copper target, and two reactions take place Co-59(n,p)Co60metastable (cross section=19barn) and Co-59(n,p)Co60ground (cs=18barn). What is the cross section overall? Do I simply say there is a 18+19=37 barn cross section overall? I'm not so sure, it makes sense to add them thinking about it from a probability standpoint, but from an area of target standpoint, I think it should be somewhere between 18 and 19. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
coregis said:
I have the neutron beam hitting a copper target, and two reactions take place Co-59(n,p)Co60metastable (cross section=19barn) and Co-59(n,p)Co60ground (cs=18barn). What is the cross section overall? Do I simply say there is a 18+19=37 barn cross section overall? I'm not so sure, it makes sense to add them thinking about it from a probability standpoint, but from an area of target standpoint, I think it should be somewhere between 18 and 19. Any thoughts? Thanks.

It is simply the sum, almost by definition. The first cross section is a normalized way of giving the probability that a neutron plus Co59 will give you a metastable Co60. The second one is the probability that the neutron plus Co59 will give you a ground state Co60. These events are mutually exclusive of course, so the probability of obtaining Co60 (metastable or ground state) is the sum of both. In fact, the cross sections have been SPLIT UP in 18 and 19: the total cross section Co59->Co60 is 37 barn, and that has been refined in a fraction metastable and another fraction groundstate.
I think I see where you are having an issue, in that "the surface taken to interact with the neutron is 18 for one interaction, and 19 for another one, so I'd have a weighted surface for both". No, think of the Co59 nucleus as having a surface of 37 barn, and if you hit the upper 19 barn of it, you'll have a metastable state, and if you hit the lower 18 barn, you'll have a ground state. But then be carefull with this picture :smile: After all, it is a PICTURE, because cross sections are nothing else but normalized probabilities.

cheers,
Patrick.

Thanks so much, you reply helped me see what I had suspected. Now on to bigger and more confusing problems...

1. What is a nuclear cross section?

A nuclear cross section is a measure of the probability of a nuclear reaction occurring when a particle or photon interacts with a nucleus. It represents the effective area that the nucleus presents to the incoming particle or photon.

2. How is nuclear cross section measured?

Nuclear cross section is typically measured in units of barns (b), where 1 barn is equal to 10^-24 square centimeters. It can be experimentally determined using techniques such as scattering experiments, activation analysis, or transmission experiments.

3. What factors affect nuclear cross section?

The factors that affect nuclear cross section include the energy of the incoming particle or photon, the type of particle or photon, the mass and charge of the nucleus, and the spin and parity of the nucleus.

4. What is the significance of nuclear cross section?

Nuclear cross section is an important quantity in nuclear physics as it helps us understand and predict the likelihood of nuclear reactions occurring. It is also crucial in designing and optimizing nuclear reactors and other nuclear technologies.

5. How does nuclear cross section relate to nuclear binding energy?

Nuclear cross section and nuclear binding energy are related through the concept of the nuclear potential, which is the attractive force that holds the nucleus together. A higher nuclear cross section indicates a stronger nuclear potential and thus a higher binding energy for the nucleus.