Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about ordering figures in MS Word

1. Aug 2, 2009 #1
    I know there is a way in Word that labels pictures with numbers, say, figure 1.1, 1.2, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc. In this way, the labels automatically re-number if you add one in between. However, i can't seem to find out how to do it anymore. I'm using quite a new version of MS Office, i think 2007 or 2008; the one that saves as .docx instead of .doc.

No comments like "Just use Latex" please. :mad:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2009 #2
    yeah Office 2007 doesn't do that very well in my experience, but you can try:
    right clicking on the picture and click 'add caption'
    this will give you a caption box with figure 1 and you can add your own text and change the format from here.
    if you need to update the figure number, then click on the caption and the number part will get a grey background. right click the number and click update fields. another way to ensure that all fields are updated is to select all (click somewhere in you doc and press ctrl a) and then press F9 or go to the menu and click update fields.

4. Aug 5, 2009 #3
    Thanks. One more thing, though, how do i refer to a caption from the text itself?

I.e. when i change figure 1.2 to 1.3, how can i make the reference in the text also change from 1.2 to 1.3?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook