Question about proton decay and black hole evaporation

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of virtual black holes and their potential role in proton decay. It is noted that while proton decay has not been disproven, the predicted decay rates are very low and there is no evidence of it occurring. The idea of virtual black holes as a result of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle is also brought up, but it is acknowledged that this is based on unproven theories. The relevance of black holes in relation to proton decay is also questioned. Overall, the conversation raises questions about the validity of virtual black holes and their potential impact on our understanding of quantum gravity.
axemaster
Just to start, let me reassure you that I am not an LHC alarmist. I understand and agree with the cosmic ray explanation, i.e. earth, the sun, jupiter, and everything else would be a BH if they didn't evaporate.

Anyway, I was reading around a little on wikipedia and came to this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_black_hole" .

So it seems like the various theories predict proton decay because of virtual black hole formation? That would explain why the predicted decay rates are so low. I take it that the virtual black hole thing is a result of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle with respect to energy and position. Am I correct about this? I recognize that virtual BHs may be a product of various unproven quantum gravities, but aren't they inevitable due to Heisenberg?

The next thing I thought was, well, since proton decay seems to have been disproven by experiment, doesn't that also necessarily preclude a quantum description of gravity by definition? I mean, Heisenberg is central to quantum, and lack of proton decay would seem to say Heisenberg doesn't apply.

So basically my final thought along this line was, if BH evaporation is based on effects derived from Heisenberg, then is it reasonable to assume that evaporation might in fact not occur? Or perhaps by a different mechanism altogether.

Does any of this make sense? Or am I wildly off base with this? Thanks!

-Axemaster

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Proton decay hasn't been disproven. However all evidence to date has been that if it does, it must have a half life > 1033 years. Essentially there is no evidence of decay.

I'm not overly familiar with the 'virtual black hole mediated proton decay', however, an absence of proton decays would merely put a bound on the fecundity of decay through this particular process.

Additionally, the spacetime fluctuations giving rise to these black holes would need to be HUGE if they were to generate Planck mass virtual black holes. My guess is that we only expect such black holes in theories with lower scales of gravity, such as theories with large extra dimensions. But, there may not even be extra dimensions, and if there are, they may not be big. So, I think this type of decay is model dependent, and might not exist in nature to begin with.

I fail to see the relevance. There are no protons in black holes.

I think the relevance is that a black hole can eat a proton. What it burps out in Hawking radiation need not be a proton. This would look like proton decay. I think the idea is pretty crap, but that's pretty much the gist of it.

1. What is proton decay?

Proton decay is a hypothetical process in which a proton, one of the building blocks of matter, transforms into lighter particles. This phenomenon has not been observed experimentally, but it is predicted by some theories that attempt to reconcile quantum mechanics and general relativity.

2. How long does it take for a proton to decay?

The predicted half-life of a proton varies depending on the specific theory being considered, but it is estimated to be at least 10^34 years. This means that, on average, it would take a very long time for a proton to decay, if it can decay at all.

3. Can black holes evaporate?

Yes, according to Stephen Hawking's theory, black holes can emit radiation and eventually evaporate. This process is known as Hawking radiation and it is caused by virtual particles near the event horizon of the black hole. However, the rate of evaporation is very slow for large black holes, and it would take trillions of years for a black hole to completely evaporate.

4. What happens to the information inside a black hole when it evaporates?

This is still a topic of debate among scientists. According to Hawking's theory, the information inside a black hole is lost forever when it evaporates. However, other theories suggest that the information may be preserved in some form, either in a new universe or in the radiation emitted by the black hole.

5. Can proton decay and black hole evaporation be observed?

At this time, neither proton decay nor black hole evaporation have been observed directly. These processes occur on a very small scale and over a very long period of time, making them difficult to detect. However, scientists continue to search for evidence of these phenomena through experiments and observations.