Question about static elecrticity (car tires)

In summary, the conversation revolved around whether car tires generate static electricity while in motion due to friction. The conversation suggested searching on Google for more information and recommended a specific YouTube channel for learning about electricity principles. It was also mentioned that fabric on car seats may be the more likely cause of static shocks when getting out of a vehicle.
yasser17
i wanted to know when the car is moving, do the tyres create static electricity due to friction?
please give me any info you know about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
yasser17 said:
i wanted to know when the car is moving, do the tyres create static electricity due to friction?
please give me any info you know about it.

Welcome to the PF.

What do you find when you do a Google search with some of your search terms? :smile:

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

What do you find when you do a Google search with some of your search terms? :smile:
unfortunatly found nothing!

yasser17 said:
unfortunatly found nothing!

Try searching on this using Google: how do car tires generate static electricity

The first hit on the list is pretty helpful. Why are you asking about this? Are you getting static shocks when you get out of your vehicle? The more likely culprit would be the fabric on your vehicle's seats... :smile:

Friend, the friction between the wheels and the road of a moving car causes electrons to accumilate or leave some of the atoms on thesurface of car tire. This means the surface of the tire has ions formed on it, electrons do not move in static electricity, they are simply stationary on the surface of the charged object. If you want to know whether a material gains or loses electrons when rubbed with another material you can look at a triboelectrification chart like this one http://www.acpk.com/static_info.htm
the best way to learn electricity principles is a youtube channel named jeff quitney; he has old military instructional videos that are outstanding.

1. How does static electricity affect car tires?

Static electricity can cause car tires to become charged with electrons, which can lead to buildup of static charge on the surface. This can create a potential difference between the tires and the road, causing a shock when touching the tires or when exiting the car.

2. Can static electricity damage car tires?

Yes, in extreme cases, static electricity can damage car tires by causing tiny cracks on the surface. This can lead to weakened tires and potentially dangerous driving conditions.

3. How can I prevent static electricity buildup on my car tires?

One way to prevent static electricity buildup on car tires is to regularly check the tire pressure and ensure it is at the recommended level. This can help dissipate any static charge that may have built up. Additionally, avoiding driving on dry, dusty roads can also help reduce static buildup.

4. Can static electricity affect my car's electronic systems?

Yes, static electricity can potentially damage electronic systems in a car, such as the engine control unit or the radio. It is important to discharge any static buildup before touching these sensitive components.

5. Are certain types of tires more prone to static electricity buildup?

Yes, tires made of synthetic materials, such as nylon or polyester, are more likely to build up static electricity compared to tires made of natural rubber. This is because synthetic materials do not conduct electricity as well as natural materials. However, proper maintenance and precautions can help prevent static buildup on all types of tires.