Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about the Bohr Model

1. Sep 30, 2009 #1
    Even though Bohr's model is defunct, one important element of it survived, namely the strictly quantized orbiting radii of electrons. Supposedly this mended the gaping flaw of Rutherford's model in that it predicted that electrons would no longer lose energy to photon emission thereby causing them to spiral in their nucleus and all that well-known stuff. My question is how? How does limiting the possible orbits of an electron to specified energy levels in any way prevent energy loss from leading to the downfall of everything?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2009 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:confused: That it puts electrons in orbits is the main error in Bohr's model.

The energy levels remained, but electrons are smeared throughout the entire shell, rather than occupying a single point and orbiting around.

4. Sep 30, 2009 #3
    I'm getting my atomic theory models all mixed up! I appreciate the clarification, but it does not answer the actual question.

5. Sep 30, 2009 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Bohr basically postulated that the electrons don't radiate when they are in one of the discrete "Bohr orbits." As far as I know, he didn't have an explanation for why they don't radiate as classical electrodynamics predicts they should.

6. Sep 30, 2009 #5
    o_O? That's interesting. Thank you for [somewhat] clarifying the matter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook