Question about the Galilean transform in classical physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the Galilean transformation and the correct equations to use for it. It is clarified that the equation should be x' = x - vt, where v is the velocity of the primed frame as measured in the unprimed frame. The conversation also touches on the definitions of prime and not prime variables in different frames.
billllib
Homework Statement
Shouldn't the equation be x' = x + (v')(t) instead of x' = x + (v)(t)?
Relevant Equations
x' = x + (v)(t)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
billllib said:
Homework Statement:: Shouldn't the equation be x' = x + (v')(t) instead of x' = x + (v)(t)?
Relevant Equations:: x' = x + (v)(t)?

What are ##v## and ##v'##?

speeds in 2 reference frames. For example in A frame A's speed is zero, while in B's frame A's speed can be different then zero or = 0.

billllib said:
speeds in 2 reference frames. For example in A frame A's speed is zero, while in B's frame A's speed can be different then zero or = 0.

That's not a precise answer. A possible answer is:

##v## is the speed of B, as measured in A's frame.

##v'## is the speed of A, as measured in B's frame.

Is that what you mean?

The convention is generally that quantities in one frame are unprimed and quantities in another frame are primed.

I am slightly modifying what you wrote.

V is the speed of A, as measured in A's frame. V = 0

V′ is the speed of A, as measured in B's frame. V !=0 or V = 0

Can that also work?

billllib said:
I am slightly modifying what you wrote.

V is the speed of A, as measured in A's frame. V = 0

V′ is the speed of A, as measured in B's frame. V !=0 or V = 0

Can that also work?
What do you mean by working? What equations can you write down with those values of ##v## and ##v'##?

Lets say B = 100 km/h in A's frame, A = 0.
Lets say A = -100 km/h in B's frame.

Lets focus on A in both frames. Is it correct to say V_A' = -100 and V_A = 0? Is this the correct definition of prime and not prime?

This brings me back original question.

billllib said:
Lets say B = 100 km/h in A's frame, A = 0.
Lets say A = -100 km/h in B's frame.

Lets focus on A in both frames. Is it correct to say V_A' = -100 and V_A = 0? Is this the correct definition of prime and not prime?

That's all true.

billllib said:
This brings me back original question.

What are ##v## and ##v'## here?

The idea of the Galilean transformation is as follows. Let's say you are standing ##100m## from a flag, The flag is fixed at ##x = 100m## in your reference frame. Your friend begins to walk towards the flag at ##1m/s##. His reference frame is moving at velocity ##v = 1m/s## in the direction towards the flag. The flag in his reference frame has position:

At ##t = 0##, ##x' = 100m##

At ##t = 1##, ##x' = 99m##

At ##t = 10##, ##x' = 90m##

And:

At ##t = 100##, ##x' = 0m##.

Now, what is the transformation between ##x## and ##x'## in that case?

PeroK said:
That's all true.
What are ##v## and ##v'## here?

"v" and " v' " have the same value as post "A" and" A' ". A = v and A' = v'.

Sorry for sounding like a broken record.

The equation should be x' = x + (v')(t) instead of x' = x + (v)(t)?

In the title I added "shouldn't" but it should be "should".

billllib said:
The equation should be x' = x + (v')(t) instead of x' = x + (v)(t)?

In the title I added "shouldn't" but it should be "should".
No. See post #9. The equation is and always will be: ##x' = x - vt##, where ##v## is the velocity of the primed frame as measured in the unprimed frame.

I think I finally am getting what you are saying. I am transforming x to x'. Also since it is a constant velocity the velocity is always the same value thanks if I have any further questions I will ask.

1. What is the Galilean transform in classical physics?

The Galilean transform is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the position, velocity, and time of an object in different frames of reference in classical physics. It was developed by Italian physicist Galileo Galilei in the 17th century.

2. How does the Galilean transform differ from the Lorentz transform?

While the Galilean transform is used in classical physics, the Lorentz transform is used in modern physics, specifically in Einstein's theory of relativity. The main difference between the two is that the Galilean transform assumes that time and space are absolute, while the Lorentz transform takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

3. What is the formula for the Galilean transform?

The formula for the Galilean transform is: x' = x - vt, where x' is the position of the object in the moving frame of reference, x is the position in the stationary frame of reference, v is the velocity of the moving frame, and t is the time.

4. Can the Galilean transform be used for objects moving at high speeds?

No, the Galilean transform is only valid for objects moving at low speeds compared to the speed of light. For objects moving at high speeds, the Lorentz transform must be used to accurately describe their motion.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Galilean transform?

The Galilean transform is used in various fields such as mechanics, astronomy, and navigation. It is also used in everyday situations, such as calculating the speed of a car relative to the ground, or determining the position of a moving object in a video. Additionally, it is the basis for the concept of relative motion, which is essential in understanding the motion of objects in our everyday lives.